Help Needed Truck running hot need help

robinson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My son has a 2004 6.0 106000 miles has been running great took out of town this weekend pulling trailer the truck started running hot but the gauges on the dash showed normal it has a banks turbo on it and the exhaust gauge showed 1100 deg. turbo started acting up. Stopped to check and it needed coolant while I was adding coolant a gentle man stopped and told me he had a truck with 6.0 that had the same problem but he did not have an exhaust gauge and burn the motor up. A 8500$ lesson he did not want me to learn. My question is what do i need to check coolant looks ok will change fan seems to be working cannot tell if thermostat working sense no radiator cap on radiator. I myself have a 7.3 easy to trouble shoot and repair.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Why no cap on the radiator? These trucks run right at 200 degrees normally, which is not far from the boiling point of water. Get a cap!!! 1100 degrees exhaust is not hot. Over 1250 is HOT.

Dave

robinson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It has a cap on the plastic tank but not one on the actual radiator so you can see if you are getting good flow in it. It is hard to tell if it has good circulation.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can tell if it's flowing properly by checking the bottle just make sure not to fill past the min mark on the bottle or hopefully you have the sticker on the bottle for proper level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58