Truck will not move

jpclwill

jpwill
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been reading over the threads on and off for quite a few months. I do not post much since I am basically learning from all of you. On the way home yesterday, I stopped for a car that was turning and went to step on the go pedal and it did not move. Still running, but will not move only a a tiny crawl. Pulled into a gas station, and noticed that it will idle & engine will rev up in neutral/park, but soon as you put into gear...no move. ALso, puts out lots of smoke out the tailpipe and runs rough when in gear. Check engine light came on shortly after this happened. Truck was running fine before this happened! Any ideas? I had it towed to the dealership, but I kinda of would like a heads up so am not getting raked over the coals. Your help is greatly appreciated.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will have to see what codes the Dealership pulls out of your truck. Anything else is guessing. We all need the codes to figure out what is going on. Oh and :welcome3

Dave :dunno

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure hope you come back and let us know what's going on with your truck,
and as Dave said Welcome to SSD.com
Doug

jpclwill

jpwill
Reaction score
Thanks. I will let you know. The dealership called later on today and said it would probably be Monday before they can give me the diagnosis. They have been backed up.

jpclwill

jpwill
Reaction score
so...dealership called back this afternoon.... This is their diagnosis:

diag (found egr valve stuck open by carbon rocks, on
roadtest found eot 67degrees over ect, indicating that oil
cooler is restricted not cooling oil down properly)

replace egr valve, oil cooler, test and replace egr cooler if
needed, change oil and filter, flush cooling system (found egr
valve stuck open by carbon rocks, on roadtest found eot
67degrees over ect, indicating that oil cooler is restricted not
cooling oil down properly)...

All this for $3725

:rant

Any thoughts???? This is a bit more than I can afford right now!!

jpclwill

jpwill
Reaction score
Do any of you mechanics out there think that I could get away with just replacing the egr valve for now and do the rest of the work in a couple months. Obviously, I would not be doing any major hauling or towing!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
In general you can't change a few parts and ignore the rest. The computer won't like it and will tell you so. You can unplug the EGR valve without upsetting the world. The rest I don't know about.

Dave :dunno

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the oil cooler is not fixed you could burn up the motor. I never had to do anything with the cooler so I can not tell you if it is a EZ job or not to replace or repair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58