truck won't start when warm.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Try the fuel filters. Make sure they are clean or new. Next would be the HPOP and make sure it is making at least 500 pounds per sq inch pressure. I am not familiar with your truck but these will get you started. Injectors might be another item that needs looking at. Good Luck.

Dave:)

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IPR O-rings are a common reason for the truck to not want to start when hot, the thinner warm oil leaks past the o-rings and keeps the truck from building pressure in the HPO system.

the oil leaks back into the pan so you do not see the leak.

rebuilding it is not difficult, it requires a large 12 point wrench to pull it out 1-1/8 or 1-1/4, it's been a while. you'll spend more time getting stuff out of the way.

Here's some part numbers from the '94-'97 part number thread, to the best of my knowledge the IPR is the same on the SD trucks.

(Ford) F6TZ-9C977-AN (F6TZ-9C977-AA?)
(International) 1825806C92 (1825806C91?)

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
No start hot

Been a long time you guys, I haven't been back for a while now, to answer your question the fuel injectors have a series of oil and fuel control o-rings on each one, if an o-ring fails it will leak down the pressure the pump is trying to build, or the high pressure pump is faulty due to a worn vane in the pump, even like BJS stated the IPR could be junk also, that is the cheapest and easiest thing to try first so good luck.

GCJB2002

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks guys i will try a ipr,is it a big job do i need to drain th hpop of oil first.is there any pressure in the pump if i take out the ipr first?
thanks GEOFF

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ipr is not a big job, you need to remove the fuel bowl or at least loosen it on the OBS trucks I imagine similar is required on the SD trucks. the IPR has a stamped steel nut on the back and then a very large bolt that holds it into the HPOP.

You can drain the HPOP res first but I just let it drain down the valley and off the back of the engine and called it good with a catch pan just below the engine/trans junction.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one bit of info, a special extra deep socket is needed to remove it or a 12 point (6 point won't work for space reasons) box end wrench to remove the large bolt part of the IPR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58