Tugger Questions

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I am planning on installing the Tugger kit soon and I have a few questions. I noticed in the directions that there are two types of valve bodies that require different drilling, will my 2000 be the one the requires a lot of holes or just a few?

What holes sizes do you all recommend for the calibration plate? I was going to use the smallest recommended for the diesel. I want a decent shift but not a slam.

What holds the plate retainers in the main valve body? Just spring pressure?

There is a spiral lock snap ring kit which I will not be installing since I am not taking the transmission out. This makes me nervous, will the increase pressures blow the standard ring out? I would like to improve the transmission shifting and holding but I do not want to risk wrecking it.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The instructions are pretty self explanatory once you get the pan off the tranny and the valve bodies dropped down. As for which hole to drill..... I went with the hole size for the gasser V8 as suggested to me by Richter69. All I am running for a tuner right now is a SCMT and the shifts are not harsh but I've talked to twildman as well and if we jack the trans line pressure a little with proper programming then I think the gasser V8 hole might be adequate. If not, I can always drop the pan and enlarge the hole, if I made it too big off the get go then I have to get a new plate if I dont like the shift firmness.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
So there is no trick to those flat plate retainers? I have never seen them before. I hope to do a write up for the Wiki when I am done.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
RenoF250 said:
So there is no trick to those flat plate retainers? I have never seen them before. I hope to do a write up for the Wiki when I am done.
You got the HD II Kit right?

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Yeah, it says 4R100-HD2 Tugger. The retainers I am talking about look like 1/2" square plates with a slot in them. You reuse the ones in the transmission. I just do not see what hold them in. One looks like it is tapered, I thought maybe they wedged in and belt the slot closed otherwise it must be spring pressur that holds them.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yup, thats the same kit I put in the E4OD.

Ive got a pic of the vavle body still bolted in to the bottom of the trans, its a crappy picture but.................

IIRC the retainers slide in from the top and then the valve body is bolted back in place, spring pressure comes into play here as well.

I'm far from a tranny guru and I did this 6 months ago.:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14