Question Turbo boot problem

kooldarrin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:dunno My brother-in-law Big White is having issues with his 6.0 turbo boot and pipe on the compression side of his turbo blowing off all the time. He's had to keep putting it back on but it continues to come off. He replace the boot with a new stock Ford boot, but with some of the modes he's done,we think he's boosting more and needs to replace it with a high pressure boot. Who else has had this problem and what all did you end up doing? We would appreciate any ideas.:confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would ask him what his max boost is. Normal boost is up to 30psi. I am not sure how high he could get it. Normal boot replacement is to clean the boot and pipe with lacquer thinner and re-assemble. A lot of oil in inside of the intake pipes from the crankcase breather. If oil is on the pipe or boot, then it will blow off.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said, and.. there are replacement boot kits available thru our Site Sponsors that are made of a bit better (stronger, won't Balloon) material.. better suited for higher boost psi's.

When you get everything clean & dry.. Try spraying a little hair spray on the inside of the boots.. as you put each one back on. Acts as a adhesive Tack coat.. to help prevent "Blow Offs".

Joe

kooldarrin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate you guys for responding so quickly, it makes sense that the oil on or inside the boot, would make it easy for it to come off again. Big White I know didn't clean any of the surfaces,he just put the boot back on where he was on the road. I'll tell him to clean and treat the surfaces and try putting the boot back on again. Thanks again guys.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Yes, you MUST use brake clean to cut the oil off the surfaces. Been there, done that, I now carry a can or 3 in the truck.

Dieselsite has a very nice boot, once I put that on, I never had a problem. Has held up fine to being taken off multiple times (for other reasons) :rolleyes:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Joe said, Try spraying a little hair spray on the inside of the boots..)

The part about the Hair Spray does help for sure, but it needs to be clean.
Doug

kooldarrin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got a kick out of Big White when I told him about the hair spray, he was afraid it would blow up when he started his truck. I laughed and told him that the aerosol inside the can is what makes hair spray flammable.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I just blew that boot off on Sunday with my boost psi between 30-32psi (I was using Innovatives tow tune)towing our 5er up a long steep grade. I had to improvise on RoyBoy's advice and use my wifes Strydex acne pads (it's was all I had at the time) and put some hair spray on the boot before I put it back on and tightened up the new clamp. I am going to spend the money shortly on BD's improved boot and clamp kit so the next time it's not one of the lower intercooler boots that go. I don't even want to think about what kind of PITA it would be changing a lower boot would be on the road.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr