turbo surge???

lil89ram50

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
has any one ever unplugged the maf sensor??? the sensore on the air intake? yeah i hought it might be a cool idea to unplug it and try n drive it to see what it does, but when i took off.....lots of black smoke!! and when you slowed down it almost sounded like a tire rubbing, but i know it was sopmething to do with the motor.....? any help would be greatly appreciated?

people have been talkin about unplugging the turbo? to make it smoke more?? where is the connection to turn it off? or is that what i did?:dunno

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
What exactly is it you are after here? To be able to put on a smoke show or ?

Uhh, you cant "unplug" a turbo. Its not an electrical or electronic device, it is an exhaust gas driven compressor that stuffs air into the engine. I dont really know what Dodge boys "smoke switch" was in the youtube video (I am guessing some type of boost relief valve) but in order to get lots of black smoke you need to do one of two things. Increase your fuel delivery to the point the turbo cannot get enough air into the engine to provide a proper air/fuel ratio OR you need to reduce the amount of air going into the engine so you cannot attain a proper air/fuel ratio.

Modified injectors are one way to get more fuel into the engine and it also has the added benefit of increasing your horsepower substantially. Now if you cant afford injectors then you can figure out how to lessen the air induction...... I'll give you a cheap one, matter of fact its free. Take a pair of underwear and put them over your air cleaner element and you now have 50% less air going into the engine and you should be able to make smoke. Down side is you have just decreased your potential for horsepower, you have increased you potential for exceedingly high EGT's (I wish Dodge boy would have shown his pyro with his smoke switch activated) and you have really put the hurts on your fuel economy.

Did that cover it for you?

lil89ram50

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well i jus was wanting to know what that noise was? :dunno

i was thinking if i were to unplug the maf sensor, i would be pulling more air into the motor, causing it to lean out, producing more power.....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You need to become more familiar with diesel motors. They do not work like a Gas motor. There is no "pulling more air into the motor" causing it to lean out. Fuel is what controls the "mixture" (bad term) and the smoke. BUT more fuel is equal to more power and too much fuel is smoke. Unplugging any of the electronic controls on the motor will cause it NOT to run properly. The computer NEEDS to know the air flow (MAF) to make the proper power for your needs (throttle). Screwing up these sensors will screw up your motor($$$$$).

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58