Turbo to Intake Hose Off

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While accelerating from stop pulling my 5th wheel, I heard a sound like a tire blowing only to find the hose between the Turbo and Intake had come off at the intake end. Everything seemed fine and I was able to put it back on right on the road and really tightened the clamp.
I would like to find out if anyone else has had this happen and what causes it?
I saw on one forum the exhaust filter may be restricted. This truck only has 145,000 km on it and shouldn't have a restricted filter yet.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While accelerating from stop pulling my 5th wheel, I heard a sound like a tire blowing only to find the hose between the Turbo and Intake had come off at the intake end. Everything seemed fine and I was able to put it back on right on the road and really tightened the clamp.
I would like to find out if anyone else has had this happen and what causes it?
I saw on one forum the exhaust filter may be restricted. This truck only has 145,000 km on it and shouldn't have a restricted filter yet.

@ 145K it could be the filter but..... seems like you should have had a "Wrench Light", or some kind of warning indicator/advisory letting you know something isn't right ?

Are you down on power ? How's yer air filter ?

Might wana get with FORD in it.

Joe

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did notice that the filter looked ready to change, but didn't think it would affect the turbo boost pressure. I will give that a try.
I would have gone to FORD right away, but have to be honest and say that the service they have provided on almost all other issues has been very weak to say the least.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu

Just my .03 but if the >intake< boot came off.. that could be the turbo wanting air, under demand, but couldn't get it (dirty air filter), and it >pulled< the boot off.

Or.. if the exhaust filter Is plugged.. the back pressure caused a "Turbo Fart" and it >blew< the intake boot off.

If yer not happy with yer local FORD shop.. you can always call a step or two above them. Yer Emissions Warranty might cover the Exhaust system stuff ?

Joe

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
If you intake boost tube was oily that could cause the hose to blow off again. Take it off and clean hose and pipe with brake cleaner. I have heard hair spray makes them stick on good.

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. The clamp has a spring built into it. When I re-installed the hose on the road, I tightened it as tight as it would go. Does anyone know if that is ok or if it shouldn't be that tight?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58