Question turbo

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they make a water cooled turbo for the 6.0? I ask this because I was cleaning out the shop some more and found a water cooled turbo off my 83 T-bird.

Last edited:

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I'm guessing you mean water cooled?

They don't make one that I have ever heard of, the extreme heat created by the speed/friction of the shaft in the turbo, and from the high EGT's that pass through the turbo, would flash boil water, causing cavitation and catastrophic turbo failure. The main reasons we need to let our trucks idle for a couple of minutes before we shut them off is to let the EGT's and turbo cool down, as the heat is so great, that without the oil flowing through the turbo, you would essentially cook the oil that was stationary in the turbo once the engine is turned off, without the cooldown time before shutting it off.

Hope that makes sense. If someone else feels that this is innacurate, please correct me.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, cooled . It's been one of those days... Anyway I under stand the cool down time thing. But I had my system set up to pull the coolant from the rad. because the cooling system was running at 220 deg. in a closed loop system and this would change the flash point and it also changes the flash point because of system being under presser. The EGT would not be that much cooler but, it would keep the turbo housing cooler and keep the cool down running time less and it would help keep the oil cooler too. Also prolong it life.

Just thinking here.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think even in a closed loop system, under pressure, with the perfect coolant mixture, that you could raise the point at which the coolant/water would flash boil high enough, so that it would not flash boil in your turbo on a hard/long pull. These trucks make a lot more heat in the turbo than an old t-bird.

But who knows??? for now I'll stick with oil for cooling and lubrication in my turbo, and I'd recommend the same to any diesel owner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14