Turning off back up lights

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One night about a week ago, I was trying to back up my camper in the dark. Needless to say, as soon as the back up lights on my truck came on, I couldn't see spit because of the glare. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's experienced this problem. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to splice in a switch so I could temporarily shut them off? Is this even legal (Mass.)? Or is there a better solution?

Howard

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Splicing a switch is a good idea. Take the reverse lights wire at the tranny and put a switch in it.

Dave

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Splicing a switch is a good idea. Take the reverse lights wire at the tranny and put a switch in it.

Dave

Thanks. Thats the general idea I was thinking of, but I was kind of hoping some one would know if there's a wire under the dash I could cut into instead of at the tranny.

Howard

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't have a DVD with your truck's wiring on it, so I can't tell you. I don't see any reason why Ford would run the wire under the dash and then to the rear of the truck, but I can't confirm that.

Dave

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bushpilot,
I think he wants to put a switch on his stock lights not on a set of 'add on' lights.
I think a set of back up lights on the back of my camper would really help when backing at night. Has anyone ever tried that? Using your diagram as a guide I just may try it.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
bushpilot,
I think he wants to put a switch on his stock lights not on a set of 'add on' lights.
I think a set of back up lights on the back of my camper would really help when backing at night. Has anyone ever tried that? Using your diagram as a guide I just may try it.

Yeah, I've got a set of backup lights mounted on either side of the hitch. It works nice backing at night, kind of lets me see where the wheels are on the camper when backing. They're mounted low enough that I don't get much glare off of the white camper body, either.

My lights are just wired like normal lights with relay, etc. Nothing fancy about them--when I want 'em on, I flip the switch. Works nice at night when some dumb buttcrack comes up behind me with his brights on.

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bushpilot,

Your right, I want to shut off my stock back ups. Sounds like my best option will be to cut the wire at the side of the tranny and run two wires into the cab and to a switch. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14