Turning up boost

metallakid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was curious if there was a way of manually turning up the boost on a 99+ 7.3. i know you would need enouph fuel to properly use it but if you did have enouph fuel, would there be a way of manually controlling the peak boost in order to get full potential.

thanks,
Justin

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
More fuel is what creates more boost. The more fuel you dump in the more violent your exhaust gasses expand thus spinning the turbine/compressor faster making higher boost numbers. What kind of boost numbers are you seeing right now and what would you like to see? On a SD you should be in the 25 psi range before it flattens out. If you are getting 25 psi, consider purchasing a boost relief valve. The PCM defuels if it sees in excess of 25 psi.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
metallakid said:
I know you would need enouph fuel to properly use it but if you did have enouph fuel, would there be a way of manually controlling the peak boost in order to get full potential.

Are you smoking badly at peak boost once you are on top of the charger? If so, you can adjust the wastegate rod to allow more boost to clean up the smoke(unburned fuel). Doing that increases the amount of boost pressure it takes to open the wastegate allowing exhaust to bypass the exhaust wheel. Your stock PCM will not allow you to hit more than 25psi unless you "fool" the MAP sensor somehow. Also the stock turbo isn't really made to see more than 25psi.

Boost is the product burned fuel....you have to add fuel to make it. If the fuel is there and you are limited right now by the WG, shorten the wastegate rod a couple of turns.

metallakid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much just doing my homework as far as power upgrades go. I'm leaning towards a good set of injectors and a larger turbo. I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I start purchasing upgrades. I appreciate all the info, thanks guys

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
metallakid said:
I'm leaning towards a good set of injectors and a larger turbo.

If you go with a big turbo you could opt to go without a WG. Then your boost would be controlled by the tuning and how big of fuel squirters you opt for. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim