Under hood chirping and light squealing

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 200k on this 2011 6.7 liter Lariat. Recently I've noticed a slight chirp under the hood on the occasional acceleration. also heard it once when running in Tow/Haul, started an incline, it kicked down into a high RPM and it did a fairly lengthy chirp during that change. I first thought of the turbo, but it never makes any unusual sounds when under heave boost and seems to be RPM driven. Any thoughts... serpentine belt? tension pulley?

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess belt and/or tensioner. Given the mileage I'd replace both.
Would you think turbo as a possibility at all? I've heard some negative reports on the ceramic bearings in the turbo, but because it is ceramic, I would think it would be an instant failure and not a prolonged sound.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
As you stated turbos go south very quickly. I am with 01yellerCobra on this one; belt or tensioner.

Dave

Ford Doctor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Chirping noise on acceleration can point toward an exhaust leak - a common pattern failure on 2011 6.7L engines is a cracked EGR tube which leaks at the flex joint. It is usually bad enough to be quite obvious though as it will leave soot in the area and under the hood. The leak can also damage the EGR bypass actuator if the leak is bad enough. Another thing to check is the cold side CAC tube between the charge air cooler and the intake. They are plastic and are known to crack, leak and commonly come apart.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's different. Usually when I hear an exhaust leak it sounds like a ticking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64