Upgraded to a Class 5 Hitch

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Haven't been on the site in quite some time but thought I would stop by and let you all know I am still kicking and share tonights project.

Been dragging trailers around the country for the last 16 years with a Class 3 hitch and finally decided it was time to upgrade. Seemed to be getting a lot of flex in the old unit which is strange because as I get older I seem to stiffen up. Class 3 is rated at 600 tongue and 6000 gross which I regularly exceeded so I am sure fatigue had set in. Last load I hauled was 48 railroad ties and thats when I noticed the front of the trailer bouncing a little. New Class 5 is rated at 2,400 tongue and 16,000 gross so she should be stout. Seems to be much stouter with my Camper hitch extension too.

Anyone with a old school class 3 might think about a upgrade. You can get a Curt 15300 Class 5 Trailer Hitch on Amazon for $185.00

Here are some pictures of the project.

Last load that got me to thinking:

The old tired Class 3:

The new Class 5 Xtra Duty:

New custom plug enclosure built out of 3" tube:

New flap hanger brackets I incorporated in:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DANG !!!!! It's good to hear from ya Crumm !!!!

Some of us where Begin'n to wunder 'boutcha.

Nice Hitch by the way.

Joe

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
DANG !!!!! It's good to hear from ya Crumm !!!!

Some of us where Begin'n to wunder 'boutcha.

Joe
Yeah I got a email that said I hadn't visited in a while so I thought I better stop by and say hi. Glad you are still around too.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of us were just talking about you a week or two ago, and someone from AK. thought you had been killed in a logging truck wreck.
Please don't stay gone so long. The hitch is cool also. LOL
Doug

leojr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nice hitch and nice truck! I really need to install some rear lights.

The previous owner of my truck had a huge 12" drop rear bumper that seemed plenty strong but I like the looks of a simple bumper and a receiver hitch. As my brother gave me all of his 2-1/2" adapters (down to the standard 2") and hitched I ordered the 2-1/2" size. I like the comfort of knowing i have more hitch than I can use.

A couple of questions from the admirers on the sidelines....
I understand how the mud flaps attach (clever!) but what is the farther rearward piece for? Are they a part of the red eye hooks?
What are the red eye hooks for, break away chains?
Lastly, what size tires are these? they are on stock wheels and it looks like zero lift.

If all of this is derailed somewhere please feel free to steer me there.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
A couple of questions from the admirers on the sidelines….

I understand how the mud flaps attach (clever!) but what is the farther rearward piece for?

What are the red eye hooks for, break away chains?

Lastly, what size tires are these? they are on stock wheels and it looks like zero lift.

The rearward piece has a brace that goes up to the end of the bumper to reinforce the Hapijac camper tiedown.

The red eyes are for extended hitch braces as I run a 18" extension on the hitch.

Tires are 315x75r16 on the stock wheels. Same as 35x12.50. The front has a shackle reversal which lifts about 2.5" and the rear has a extra leaf for about 1.5".

In this picture you can see the chrome links that tie the hitch extension to the red eye hooks and the buttons on the ends of the bumper that have the braces up to them.

Another angle:

By the way WELCOME to the site..

Last edited:

97 CREWCAB

OBS RULES!
Reaction score
I did the same thing a few years ago but the only Class 5 I could find was a Reese with a 2 1/2" tube. I got the adapter with it and certain trailers if I don't have enough tongue weight, the hitch will rock back and forth. Gets annoying after a few stop lights! Wish I would have waited a little longer but I twisted my class 3. I've tried to find different adapters but all have same play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58