Question Vets: Are you a member of a Vet group?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It has been going on 14 years since I retired from the Air Force. In that time I considered, but never joined any of the local veterans groups, largely because in most, the main social activity seemed to be focused around a bar filled with cigarette smoke.

Mrs. TG works as a RN supervisor at the local veterans home/ care facility. One of her co-workers is friends with a former commander of a local American Veterans (AmVets) post. We learned some things that make this AmVets post a bit unusual. This AmVets post has a large piece of property with a camp ground for use by members & guests. What is even better, you can leave your camper set-up in-place all season long all for a paltry $200. :eek::eek: A week ago, Mrs TG & I checked the place out and really liked what we saw. :sweet:sweet Next to me, I've got the completed AmVets enrollment form filled out along with the dues check.

Going to the local state park, you pay $6/day for a vehicle pass and about $25 a night for a campsite with just an electrical plug-in. And for the price, you get a bunch of wild/unsupervised rug-rats thrown in at no extra charge. It doesn't take a calculator to figure the cost advantage as well as the fuel savings of not hauling the RV back & forth constantly.

I think this is a good opportunity for other vets who may be members of a local veterans group/post to talk about their group and what they like (or don't like) about it.

Let's hear about them!!:thumbs

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I joined the VFW when I returned from Afghanistan, but never go to the local post because, like you said, the main social activity is based on cigarettes and beer. AmVets aounds decent though, maybe I'll check them out. Thanks for posting the good info.:sweet

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most veterans groups are what you make of them. Most need the money they make in the bars to help other vets in other ways.
I am a life time member of the VFW, life time member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart, and life time member of the 82nd Airborne Association.
I am a Junior Vice Commander of the MOPH and our meetings are alcohol free. There are many wounded vets that can not drink so we make it alcohol free, now there are a few of us that do imbibe in a couple cold ones after business is complete.

That Am-Vets deal sounds incredible though. sad to say, sometimes it is hard to find a high concentration of Veterans in areas away from Military posts, so you are very lucky to have that in your backyard. No shortage of stuff here at Fort Bragg for Vets, but when I retire in Ma., barely anything at (that I have found but I will continue to look)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm member of the VFW, AMVETS, Retired SeaBee Assn and the FRA (Fleet Reserve Assn). Although I don't partisipate in many of the the activities.. For the reasons mentioned, I feel they do a real good job and have a voice that's listened to when it comes to supporting, protecting and defending Veterans Benefits.

I's say.. Join Up TG ;tu

Joe

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I was with AMVETS, but they left me cold after my second VA hearing on exactly how FKERED Up i am, physically and mentally :dunno , i guess crash landing x4 dont matter ( i crawled away)

round here we are pretty much devoid of any large groups but VFW and yep they are focused on swigging and bingo, I am just to darn young for bingo right now

that deal on the camping sounds great, i might have a re-visit with amvets now
thanks ;tu

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Let me reiterate: The campground thing is with the local AmVets post in Ishpeming, MI.

I hope nobody misunderstood me and thought that ALL AmVets post have such a facility. That would be rather unlikely. I just know the local AmVets post does have such a facility and they are planning on expanding it this summer. Such an affordable campground is something the 2 area VFW posts, American Legion and Vietnam Vets don't offer. From what I can tell, about all they have to offer is bingo, cigarette smoking and beer swillin', none of which I'm interested in.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No misinfo here TG. In fact, your AMVET group is the first Vet Org I've heard of that has an RV camping type area. Some have RV spaces for overnight.. but that's it.

Sound like you made the "So Called".. Transition... Too:lmao

I SURE did.

Slam Dunk'n Brewski's, talk'n 'bout.. "When I waz in and IN Charge" BS.... ain't my thing. :lmao:lmao:lmao

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Banged up in the Air Force, medically retired by the AF at 50 percent, the service officers at the Disabled American Veterans helped me get my 100 percent VA rating. I am a life member of the DAV because of their efforts.

As for the other groups, I don't smoke, I drink rarely, but when I do I drink at home so I don't have so far to crawl. I don't particularly like swapping "war stories", because I have none to tell. They talk about battles and exotic lands and ports of call. I can only relate stories about waking up Army VII Corps every morning a la Adrian Cronauer and interviewing celebrities for AFN.

So there is no incentive to join. I don't want to justify answers to questions about "how long were you in" (12 years, 5 months, 22 days)"what was your MOS" ( I didn't have one, the Air Force has AFSCs, of which I had 791X1 (broadcaster), 791X2 (journalist), and 3N071 (broadcast craftsman under the new system.) and "what injuries do you have" (back, leg, and neck injuries from falling down a flight of stairs because the brain dead Army staff sergeant who was SUPPOSED to be spotting my moves WASN'T spotting my moves while I walked backwards with my eye in the viewfinder of a $60,000 ENG camera on my shoulder. I was doing MY job taking video for a news story involving the comings and goings of Army brass. I got banged up. The camera's injuries were fatal. The incident report makes for VERY interesting reading!)

I didn't get shot, had orders for the sandbox and the Armed Forces Desert Network that were canceled by my command as I was boarding the aircraft for Kuwait, and my career ending injury later in my tour was not combat related. I was a REMF, but I still wore the uniform proudly, saluted smartly, carried out orders, and got seriously hurt while performing my duties.

The disability compensation makes survival easier. But I would give it up in a second if I could be free of pain. Explaining my situation ad infinitum at veterans organizations where the primary activities are drinking, smoking, and telling lies is not my idea of a good time.

I'll stick with the DAV. The most exciting thing the local chapter does is hold a potluck supper every month.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My father's VFW in virginia doesnt have a bar or any alcohol in it. He's the vice commander right now even though they all wanted him to run for commander. He said maybe next time haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14