Walker BTM Install Questions

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the stock exhaust 3.5 inch or 4 inch diameter?

Other than the muffler, what parts do I need to install the Walker muffler? Special clamps? Pipe extenders?

Does the old muffler unbolt or do I have to cut it off?

Thanks all....

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is 3.5".

I believe that you will only need clamps.

You will cut if off. You will need to make sure not to cut too much pipe in front of the muffler as that piece with the S-bend will need to fit the BTM and it will need to be rotated up 180*. The rotation is the most difficult part, IMO.

Bart

CHPMustang

Reaction score
NASCAR Mike said:
Is the stock exhaust 3.5 inch or 4 inch diameter?

Other than the muffler, what parts do I need to install the Walker muffler? Special clamps? Pipe extenders?

Does the old muffler unbolt or do I have to cut it off?

Thanks all....
Mike the exhaust be 3.5" from the bottom of the downpipe to the exhaust tip.
Nothing special needed for the installation.
The stock muffler will need to be cut off with a Makita or cutting torch,don't think about a hacksaw-popcorn
Unlike the SuperDuty trucks(sorry Bart) there's no S pipe to rotate on the Excursions as it's a cut and weld install.
I had a local muffler shop install my BTM for $40 out the door including fast fabbed hangers.
The OEM hangers that came on the stock muffler were cut off and installed on the BTM(not visible in Photo 2) at the rear of the BTM a couple hangers were fabbed up and welded on(in photo 1).

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Unlike the SuperDuty trucks(sorry Bart) there's no S pipe to rotate on the Excursions as it's a cut and weld install.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to misinform. :sorry

CHPMustang

Reaction score
bartman said:
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to misinform. :sorry
From my readings in past forums I was convinced the procedure was the same on the Excursions by rotating the S pipe till I got to Pronto and they said no thats not necessary Bill :nutkick: :roflmao so there's no need to apologize budda:sweet

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Just FYI Pronto did not rotate my S-pipe on my Super Duty either. Been fine for many years now with my poor mans exhaust.

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire1 said:
Just FYI Pronto did not rotate my S-pipe on my Super Duty either. Been fine for many years now with my poor mans exhaust.

They didn't do mine either :( but it works.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JAN 2007 UPDATE

I finally got my Walker BTM installed last week on my 05 X.

Rotating the S pipe after the cat conv did not work for me. The muffler shop could not get the muffler to line up straight so they removed the S-pipe after the converter and installed a 10" piece of straight 3.5 inch pipe from the converter to the muffler. They clamped the new pipe to the converter and welded everything else.

CHP Mustang you may not have had the s-bend in your pipe because you have the 7.3. The 6.0 definitely has a S bend after the cat.

The new muffler sits perfectly horizontal.

The truck is not really any more loud that stock but I did gain two benefits.

1) The turbo whistle is much louder
2) Mileage has increased about 1.5 MPG so far so I am at about 21MPG at 70MPH. Not bad for a 8000# truck!

Best $120 bucks I ever spent!

Last edited:

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 MPG ?!?!? Wow wish I woulda got YOUR 05 EB Ex instead of mine ;)

or maybe your Walker BTM instead of mine :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64