Warm it up ?

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been parking my truck outside, and it gets down to the 20's here in Alaska. I'll go out and start it, let it run until it automatically idles higher (about 1000rpm), let it go for about 30 seconds, then hit the brake pedal which makes it go back to normal idle, then off I go.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little warm up never hurt...just dont go crazy w/ the idling.
extended idling can actually be detrimental w/ egr based diesels.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I turn the key, shift it, and take off. It warms up much faster, when the truck is on the road. Been doing this with Diesels for the past 12 Years and 40 Years with gas cars, even at temperatures as low as -20F. Automatics need a little time to warm up so don't think you are ready to race till the Temperature is up.

Last edited:

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manufacturers advice is to warm up slowly as you are driving. I don't typically see temperatures that low, but there are times that I can see cooler temperatures and I do just turn it on, put it in gear and wait until I see the truckis fully warm before I put it in Hyperdrive.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i always let mine warm up a while..although 40* isnt all that cold..now when i was workin in MN i always gave it a good 5 -10 min but that was at sub 0 temps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64