waste gate not operating during warm up

gg41461

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey I am new here and I am needing some help my 2000 SD 7.3 during warm up cycle the engin is reving up to faster idle but the waste gate is not opening up to help it warm up. I have replaced the cold air senser in the air box what should I do next.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I am new here and I am needing some help my 2000 SD 7.3 during warm up cycle the engin is reving up to faster idle but the waste gate is not opening up to help it warm up. I have replaced the cold air senser in the air box what should I do next.

The wastegate has Nothing to do with warm ups.

OBTW... WELCOME to the Site ;tu;tu

Last edited:

gg41461

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Joe,
If it not my waste gate then what opens up and allows what sounds like air pressure going through the exhaust and when you give the truck fuel you hear a chirp like valve or gate closing and when you let up off the fuel it opens and allows the air pressure sound again, this happens during the warm up cycle only.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Joe,
If it not my waste gate then what opens up and allows what sounds like air pressure going through the exhaust and when you give the truck fuel you hear a chirp like valve or gate closing and when you let up off the fuel it opens and allows the air pressure sound again, this happens during the warm up cycle only.

;tu

During a PCM controlled Cold Start cycle, the EBPV (Exhaust Back Pressure Valve) activates and restricts (not closes) the exhaust flow to the turbo.. this action causes the Heads to warm up faster..for faster, better combustion, so we don't polute the air with unburnt fuel particals.

Thats part of what you are hearing and feeling, perfomance wise. There are a coupla other EPA driven things that make for a faster warm up.. that contribute to the sounds we may here.. on a Cold Start.

Joe

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
;tu

During a PCM controlled Cold Start cycle, the EBPV (Exhaust Back Pressure Valve) activates and restricts (not closes) the exhaust flow to the turbo.. this action causes the Heads to warm up faster..for faster, better combustion, so we don't polute the air with unburnt fuel particals.

Thats part of what you are hearing and feeling, perfomance wise. There are a coupla other EPA driven things that make for a faster warm up.. that contribute to the sounds we may here.. on a Cold Start.

Joe

And as joe has told me before, this is probably the prob with my truck or one of the probs.

gg41461

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Joe , if the EBpv is not working what wood be the problem, and if this valve doesn't work it wood probably to excessive blue smoke on cold start ups correct.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe , if the EBpv is not working what wood be the problem, and if this valve doesn't work it wood probably to excessive blue smoke on cold start ups correct.

PM answered.

I would suggest you get yer 7.3 Scanned, for any Codes present. Smoke issues can be a Number of things.... but IMO.. Not the EBPV.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58