Waste Gate

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
i didnt think these trucks had waste gates....(can you say ebpv)
and why can he just wrench the clamps down on the boots ?

'99-'03 7.3s come with a wastegated .84 A/R exhaust housing. OBS come with a 1.15A/R non-wastegated housing.

Just tightening oily boots won't help. The oil gets between the metal and the rubber, once under boost they bulge and will do exactly what the OP has experienced.

I got my boots from Dave Meheen at DPP. He has a great kit for 6L CAC swaps.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been looking around to see were I can buy some. Wife is not going to like this. Time to get some drinks in her. :sauced :roflmao I'll just tell her it will help to make more smoke :drive :roflmao

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'99-'03 7.3s come with a wastegated .84 A/R exhaust housing. OBS come with a 1.15A/R non-wastegated housing.

Just tightening oily boots won't help. The oil gets between the metal and the rubber, once under boost they bulge and will do exactly what the OP has experienced.

I got my boots from Dave Meheen at DPP. He has a great kit for 6L CAC swaps.

interesting...'specially when you consider ive never had an issue.
i seriously doubt its the rubbers...i understand the ccv-ing oil is
the cause but ive wrenched mine down and never had a blow off.

i suspect those that are having the issue just need to clean the tubes
and boots and tighten down the clamps.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
interesting...'specially when you consider ive never had an issue.
i seriously doubt its the rubbers...i understand the ccv-ing oil is
the cause but ive wrenched mine down and never had a blow off.

i suspect those that are having the issue just need to clean the tubes
and boots and tighten down the clamps.

The factory orange boots that connect the "y" and the plenums are thin and clamped with regular worm gear clamps, not t-bolt clamps. Because they are thin they get oil soaked easily and prolly bulge alot under boost. Thicker ones don't flex and get soaked as easy. I haven't had any problems since upgrading.

Do the 6ohs have the same crappy clamps and thin boots on the plenums as the 7.3s?:dunno

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I ran to town and got myself some degreaser so that I could clean the IC tubes. Pulled them off with no problems, there was alittle bit of oil in the tubes but not much at all. Boots still had a good seal on them and after they were cleaned didn't feel slippery at all. Put them aside to dry.

Started looking further into the engine and the orange boots for the intake manifold. Driver side I could see were there was oil splashed around under the boot. Started to feel around on the boot and on the bottom I could feel were the boot had come off. Now it is time to take the y-pipe off the turbo and remove both orange boots. So after I removed the air intake and the y-pipe, took the orange boots off and there was quite abit of oil on the inside of the boots.

Had the wife come out and take pics while everything was apart. She took only 4 pics which I will try to get posted. Let everything dry and put back together. Going to need new orange boots. They just didn't make a really good seal when I put them back on. Blow off noice is not so bad now and don't lose as much boost when I hit 22 PSI. Will order the two new boots and do the CCV mod. Hope this will be the end of this problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya