Water in the tank

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that if I let my truck get down to 1/8th of a tank (doesn't happen often) the truck starts to stutter and miss and lose power as if it it running out of fuel . I know the fuel gauge could be off so I have taken that into consideration , but it wasn't a problem until this year , the liar in the sky said the truck could still go 66 miles today when it started acting up . It actually got so bad today I shut it down and had the wife bring me a can of fuel . I does this in any weather hot or cold .

Ok that being said the truck has always sat alot , 10 years old 38 k miles , what does anyone think about the possibility of water in the tank . If it's in there whats the best way to get it out .

Thanks in advance for any input .

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You may have a water in fuel problem. Change the fuel filter and drain out the water. The other problem you may have is in the fuel tank. The fuel pickup somehow gets plugged up when the level in the tank goes below some level. It is different in each truck, but it seems to be less than half a tank in all cases. You will have to drop the tank and do some exploratory surgery. Try the filter first.

Dave

bigb56

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dave, what is a battery desulphater? Is it the same as a battery tender?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that your truck sitting around that much for the last 10 years it has water in the tank, from condensation. When my truck is going to be sitting for 30 days or more I top off the fuel tank or tanks. I think Dave has told you the right way to do it.
Good luck because it's not a lot of fun pulling a big fuel tank.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When these tanks get below say, 1/3 of a tank.. there's a good possiblity air can get into the delivery line, through an in-tank fitting Ford used, also.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Dave, what is a battery desulphater? Is it the same as a battery tender?

It is an electrical device that hooks onto the batteries and "desulphates" them. Sulpher is not good for batteries and it will kill them in short order. I got mine on Ebay from Chubbydutchman. Look him up in the sellers section of the search. And NO it is not a Battery Tender.

Dave

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input , I will be changing the filter this weekend . I have changed the filter on this truck and some of my others as well no prob there , but how do I drain the water , I have never had to do that before . Thanks again .

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
X2, my thoughts exactly. Pull the tank and drain it, then do the hutch n harpoon mods. That should pretty much cover it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr