Help Needed water leaking on drivers side when it rains; shorting out electrical please help

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone had this issue? Have an early 99 superduty and have had some weird things happening. Radio on out of the blue and can actually hear some kind of electrical junction behind dash shorting out. Have not had any rain all summer, and now when I wash truck or it rains, a wet spot appears on drivers side floor mat. I have run my hand up under dash and cannot feel any water. Anyone else have this happen? Please help.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Leaky cab roof light? Perhaps a leak with the windshield sealant between the glass and frame? I would set up a water sprinkler spraying water over the top of your truck simulating rain,hop inside with a bright flashlight and trace back where the water is coming from.

I had a persistent leak on my 90 Mustang GT when I found out one of the factory sunroof drain tubes broke off,I know you most likely don't have a sunroof but try the rain simulation method first.

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got home today and pulled the front cowl right below the windshield off to see if there was some sort of drain clogged under it. Has a very large opening in the side where it flows the water out. It started raining and I spent at least 45min up under the dash to no avail. I also took the hose and put water everywhere I could think to find the leak. Cannot find any water dripping under the dash and it did not leave any on the floor mat. When it does get water in the floor, it is shorting out something that makes it think the key is turned in the forward position. Any other thoughts? Just don't understand how there can be water on the mat but no signs of it under the dash?

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am going to go ahead and order new cab light gaskets. Anyone know a good place to get them besides Ford?

CHPMustang

Reaction score

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Leaking windshield will leak down to the floor. Pull off the chrome along the windshield and look for rust. If you don't see it, run a hose along the bottom of the windshield.

Dave

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No leak between the door and seal. I put water to this thing all over the windshield and cab and found no water in the cab. Has me stumped. No chrome around window, just a rubber seal and I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed it from all angles. Will let you know when I do figure it out. Thank you for your help.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look under the hood for a missing plug in the firewall. Could be a wire harness pulled out from the firewall.

Dave :)

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
I had the same problems as you are describing. I came out some days and my radio was on or the blower for the a/c & heater was running with no key in the ignition. I had to take off the a-pillar panel inside the truck. I had someone spray water continuously all over the a-pillar on the outside of the truck while I was inside watching for leaks. It took about 5 minutes before water started dripping in.
Check out some of my other postings on these threads:
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forum...use-block.html

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forum...ield-leak.html

I found water leaking down my driver's side A-pillar and dripping directly onto my fusebox. This caused tons of corrosion inside the fusebox. I disassembled it (layer by layer) and cleaned all the corrosion out with a small bead blaster. I reassembled it and everything works great. The corrosion was allowing current to pass. I really found this problem once I saw this happening every time it rained. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Drew

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track