Waterpump went south

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Well, went and looked at another shop to start a repair biz in today at lunch. Stopped to get a bite and smelled coolant and noticed a spot under the truck when I got back in. When I got back to work I pulled it into the shop and pressure tested it. HOLY LORD!! w/p was dumping coolant like water out of a 5 gallon bucket. I called napa and had em send me one out.

I put it on after work, pump was no biggie as expected, but had to make a run to the zone in the middle because

1. My 1 7/8 wrench wouldn't fit between the clutch and pulley bolts to put in on the fan nut
2. remembered that any time you disturb the thermostat housing you have to sandblast it, make sure its flat, replace the oring, and silicone the poo out of it to have any chance of not having a leak.

Rented a loan a tool. Might just keep it, fits alot of fords and was only 40 bucks. Got a new thermostat and gasket.

Replacement was straight forward once I got the wrench. After sand blasting the upper and lower water necks to get the rust off I painted em with some case ih red I had. Put her all together and while I had it drained anyway I refilled with clean water, I didn't have any flush agent. Thought about the good ol dawn soap, but was afraid I'd never get it rinsed out, heated it up and drained the block and all and flushed the heater core with clean water for preventative stuff, and refilled with new coolant and sca. So good to go for another 2 years.:sweet

I guess my thermostat was opening a little early, thought my heater sucked this winter. they were both 192 degree. It used to run about the o though, now its straight up, and would boil water I think at the vents witht he heat on.
I cleaned my pullies and belt off with brake and parts cleaner since it evaporates with no residue, but the belt is still noisy as crap from all the antifreeze, gonna have to replace it too I guess. Back on the road for now though.....

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Just thought I would add, once I got the old pump off I inspected it and found this. The inpeller was starting to eat into the w/p housing, and looked like it had been for a little while. It just started leaking however. SO thank God it leaked today, because if I would've drove it on home and around tommorow My fan may have had radiator for lunch :eek::eek: That would have cost considerably more. The pump was only 108, plus thermostat, coolant, gaskets, 40 bucks for the fan wrench, probably 175 - 200.... YEP a new radiator would probably have tripled my price, maybe quadrupled.....PHEWWWW close call.......

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like another good reason for a coolant filter...not that
it would prevent the fan drilling thru the radiator but it might keep
some crud outta the system

Dont pay more for that wrench than you need...Lisle has 'em for
19.95 or you can buy the FORD set too...

Lisle - Ford Fan Wrench

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr