Welding in new cab corners

DieselDo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

Looks like this year I'm finally getting a chance to give my old F250SD some TLC. This winter will consist of a fuel bowl rebuild and next spring or summer will be replacing the car corners and lower door skin on the passenger side rear door. Passanger side corner is bad, door is missing about 2 inches of the bottom, and drivers corner hole is about the size of a golfball.

My question is this, I have expierence in welding thin materials. What I am lost about and can't seem to find a straight answer on is weather or not to disconnect the PCM, IDM, ABS and any other modules or just simply the batteries. Seems to me if I have a ground very close to where I'm welding like within a few inches I should be alright. Before welding, I planned on taking off the bed and all paint and primer around where I'll be working back to bare metal for a good connection.

Just looking for input as I cant afford to buy a new pcm. Also, does this seem do able say in a week time frame.

Thanks

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a body man so I cant help you there much, but you need to unplug and I would remove the PCM and other computer like things. They don't like static charges going in them. 5 mim. is a lot cheaper then 800 bucks for a new PCM. I have seen it go both ways. Some have no problems welding on there trucks and I have seen others drive in and get towed out, so it's your call. I know some ford body shop guys that have unplugged them before welding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64