Well, were do i begin.............................

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
this has not really been a good powerstroke diesel day for me.

first of all, i hooked upto my trailer today for the first time in 3 months, to go to a public auction with my cousin, to haul back some cars he was planning on buying (which he did). seems i forgot one little but very important detail.

you gotta lock the fifth wheel for some strange reason, or the trailer will wind up landing on and crushing your tailgate.-mad this is the second time i have done this, the first time was not that bad, this time it kinked it up pretty bad.

so, im gonna hold out for a new 2008 tailgate with the step :rolleyes: (and no i did not do this on purpose just to get the 2008 tailgate) :D

now onto the really major problem. for the last 3 or 4 weeks i have really been noticing that my coolant levels have been very low, so i have been having to add coolant pretty regularly (2 gallons in the last 4 days :eek: )

also been noticing some wet areas on the driveway in the morning.

well, while towing the trailer to the auction today, the engine fan stayed on for almost the trip to toney, al (just north of huntsville). now keep in mind, my fan is programmed to come on 10* sooner with the SCT, which i believe is a good thing. i think it actually saved me today.

coming home with 2 cars on the trailer, the engine fan continued to stay on, but the temp gauge was not moving, until i hit the climb up governor's drive out of huntsville on US 431 towards albertville. it hit all the way to the H and the chech gauge light came on. once over the top it cooled back down.

i hit the H again and the check gauge light came on again on the climb up the mountain out of guntersville into albertville.

i have been very afraid of this day. does it sound like the head gaskets have finally gone out? thats what a member here thought when i called him on the way home. he has been thru the same thing to awhile back.

sorry for the long post, but felt it nec. to give all this info.

if it is the HG, i will definately be doing a head stud kit (which one BTW, A1 or ARP?) and i will need the best HG i can find.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :thanks

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear this Bama. I would do studs also and I can't offer a choice on the maker of the studs. There are no aftermarket head gaskets that I have heard of either.

Dave :(

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Last edited:

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IM SORRY to HEAR What HAPPENED WITh youR TRUCK AND youR 5TH WHEEL...WILL THE 08 TAILGATE FIT THE OLDER TRUCKS

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Sorry for the troubles.

I know that some 7.3s have lifted heads with the ARPs. Also they could never get a straight answer from ARP on what to torque them to.

H-11 studs are the way to go IMO. Gaskets...some have luck with Cometics. Personally if my heads are coming off they are getting cut for fire-rings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58