Question What Clutch To Get

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been needing to replace the 97 F250's clutch for a long time & it's finally gotten to the point it need it...

Question is what brand of clutch to go with & stay with the dual mass flywheel, or go with a replacement single mass flywheel...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been needing to replace the 97 F250's clutch for a long time & it's finally gotten to the point it need it...

Question is what brand of clutch to go with & stay with the dual mass flywheel, or go with a replacement single mass flywheel...

Luk and Cleavland brands seem to be popular on here, single & dual mass.

What ever you do.. go with an clutch package that includes an upgraded throw-out bearing assembly. Not sure about the OBS trucks but on the newer ones.. the throw-out set-up is known to be..purdy light duty (?) for these diesels.

Anyone Else ???

Joe

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about going with the Valair 400 hp NMU070263-01and replacement single mass flywheel V2140...

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I've heard if you go with a beefier clutch kit the firewall has to be reinforced cause you will push yer foot through the firewall. A friend of mine had to do that to his OBS psd when he upgraded his clutch.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of too many problems with the firewall flex (other than there was a reinforcement plate available from Ford). Most of the time with at least the regular SMFW kits, the pedal pressure is much lighter than the factory DMFW setup. It was than way with my SBC Con-O. The only thing about the SBC setup I wasn't sure about was the Kevlar pilot Bushing. I replaced it when I put in a rebuilt transmission and the one that came out was fairly oval. Some kits come with a new throwout bearing. I would replace the Clutch release lever as they are cheap and you're in there anyway. The release levers were a more of a problem on the SDs IIRC. Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58