What got you started??

moto jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys posting questions about who's attending this event or that event, and then realize that they are mostly truck pulling/drag racing events! I never realized the amount of interest for such events! Being from the mid-atlantic area, we have events like that but not to with so much enthusiasm. So to answer my question, what got you started in the diesel world? Pulling, Dragging, Showing, General performance, etc.... -popcorn

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I got my first diesel pickup after owning a horrable 1980 Ford gasser. It had a 400 cid engine that would not get out of it's way and only 7 mpg. That was after I had owned a big Dump Truck with a DD 8V96TA with 435 hp. I don't care about the pulls or the drags.

Dave

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have always been a little over the top with quick 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers - guess from way back in high school when the parents bought me TOO much car for a 16 year old "testy" filled kid :)

but never got into diesels until I fell into the loss leader deal a for dealer had on the last 02 7.3L X he had...
got it for 11K or so off list and haven't looked back...

found out what a LITTLE bit of tuning would do to a diesel and WOW !!!!
Do you know how much money you would have to spend on a gasser to get 100RWHP more ???? Thousands... and the diesel is a cheap programmer !!!!

Have said I would never get another gasser, but
dang diesel fuel prices may make me eat those words....

when I first got it diesel was 25 cents cheaper than regular...
now it's 25 cents more than premium !!!!

but the 6-oh in my Ex DOES get the same mpg that a LOT of other "less" vehicles get....
so for now, it's still my best vehicle...
just glad it works from home like I do :)

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
I got the diesel to pull my horse trailer, pulling power :rolleyes: And fuel mileage. My truck seamed a little doggy. But would pull anything I set behind it, Better the the gasser I was using.
Then read about different injectors and custom chips. Gave it a try and WOW what a difference it makes with performance, you get hooked and want more because you know the engine will take it. Now I am looking into a trany to test the full extent of the chip that I installed. :thumbs
I have a neighbor that keeps building his truck, takes it to the pulls and drags, It is an addiction. :D

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I needed more truck to pull a bigger trailier to haul more toys. Trail riding my bronco, atvs, and haul'n primer evil the burn out truck. Did I mention I put my 10' pickup camper on the front of the trailier (30' Blair 5th wheel) and whatever I'm haul'n behind cause I'm getting to old to sleep on the ground. :sweet

CHPMustang

Reaction score
First Diesel that got me into it all was an '86 F350 dually with the ol 6.9L back in '87 which I towed construction equipment with on a two axle trailer.It was a strong engine but not as fast off the line as the 460ci I had in the '86 F350 :cowboy:

I've had several Ford Diesels since '86.

I'm it for performance/fuel efficiency :sweet

erlong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got into diesels when I needed a tow vehicle for my off-road truck. I started with a '97 F-250 HD. It rode like the frame was bolted to the axles, but the power and fuel economy were a welcome change from the V8 gassers I had in other trucks. I couldn't believe that while using cruise control on the highway that it didn't have to downshift when going up a hill. All I heard was the turbo spool up a bit more. :sweet After owning that PSD, I swore I'd never own another gasser (truck) again.

I sold the F-250 and upgraded to an Excursion. For years I had wanted something as big as a Suburban but with a diesel engine. Since I'm a Ford guy, the Excursion was a dream come true when it came out in the 2000 model year...plus it was bigger than the Suburban which was icing on the cake! :D

Bought the Excursion new in August of '00 and have put on 147,000 miles since then. Still running strong.

Worm Drowner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My dad is retiring this year at age 70 after over 50 years of being a diesel mechanic, mostly for Caterpillar dealers. The car they brought me home from the hospital after beiing born & the first car I remember my parents owning was a 1962 Mercedes 190D. I guess with that sort of background, I couldn't help but to love diesels.

Of course, now that the old fellow is retiring, maybe I'll have my own personal diesel mechanic! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg