What is an EGR And EGR Flow mean?

cj036.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but what is a EGR and what does it do sorry new to this diesel thing. Also what does EGR flow accessive mean. It popped up on my edge attitude today in the codes section.? :dunno Need help or info. :dunno
:thanks

Reaction score
cj036.0 said:
This may be a stupid question but what is a EGR and what does it do sorry new to this diesel thing. Also what does EGR flow accessive mean. It popped up on my edge attitude today in the codes section.? :dunno Need help or info. :dunno
:thanks

Nope - no such thing as a stupid question if ya don't know -

EGR's (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is not a "diesel" thing. It's actually kinda new to them. Found in cars dating back to the 70/80's I guess. EGR's are part of the anti-smog deals - does pretty much just what it says - routes the exhaust gas back around for another burn.

Did you mean to type "accessive" or did you mean "excessive"?

Ron

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess on the excessive flow would mean the valve is not sealing and the computer can't figure out the pressure differntial with the valve in the closed position. Either you have a bunch of crud in the valve, or it's hanging up and not closing all the way. You'll probably start seeing EGR related codes more frequently.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
My guess on the excessive flow would mean the valve is not sealing and the computer can't figure out the pressure differntial with the valve in the closed position. Either you have a bunch of crud in the valve, or it's hanging up and not closing all the way. You'll probably start seeing EGR related codes more frequently.

yep then comes the dreaded "i want to stall and stay shut off" mode when it sticks open
better get it serviced before you are a walkin :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58