What is needed to service a 6.0 ?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I have never done my own servicing on my truck

You know, oil change, filters, and so on.

With the high cost of fuel and getting it serviced, I think I maybe ready to do my own.

Plus it would give me a better appreciation of my truck knowing I did it myself.

So I am strictly talking oil change and filters.

Where is the best place to buy and if you have them, the parts numbers to look for on the filters and such?

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy my filters at the local International Truck dealer. Not sure on the parts numbers though. I wouldn't buy the filters at Napa or Carquest, etc, I hear they are a bit different and don't seat properly.

I use this socket, it's a major help. 36 mm on a 3/8 drive ratchet. It really helps to get the HFCM filter off, as it's a bear if you try to fit a 3/4 ratchet in there, which is typically what such large sockets take. It also fits on your engine oil filter, and the second fuel filter takes a 1/2 ratchet. eBay Express: Lisle Oil / Fuel Filter Socket for 6.0 L Ford Diesel - I think mine was 8 or 9 dollars locally.

I run 15W40 Chevron Delo 400, get it in bulk, but if you buy jugs you'll need 4 gallons, might not use it all.

Last edited:

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bama You still makin it Ok?
I do my own service, I get my oil filter from a local fomoco dealer, about $17.00, fuel filters $44.00, oil I use Shell Rotella T 15w 40 about $10.98 a gallon.

I have seen on another thread where you can get Ford oil cheaper?
Dealer wants $111.00 to just change oil.
Also found on powerstokeshop.com Ford air filters around $52.00.
As for the oil filter I use a strap type filter wrench to change the filter, as bolt said a 3/8 ratchet will change the upper fuel filter, 1/2 for the lower filter.

There are four grease fittings on the front end also, Unless Yours have been changed. could be more or less.
It cost a lot $179.00 to change the tranny fluid at the dealer, But they flush the whole system and that is what I do I think it has payed off for me.

Good luck, and hope You get more work to keep Your truck.;tu

ifd

ifd
Reaction score
IVE ALWAYS USED FRAM FILTER AND ROTELLA T, SYNTHETIC IN WINTER. GOOD DEALS ON QUALITY FILTERS ON EBAY. DONT OVERGREASE OR YOU WILL POP SEALS KINDA FUN TO DO YOUR OWN. SAVE BIG BUCKS GOOD LUCK.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been getting the Motorcraft oil filters at Walmart. I asked about the IH oil filter last time when I got the fuel filter and I can get it there a little cheaper...so from now out, I will get both at the IH parts counter...about $16 for the oil, $37 for the fuel.

If you do go this route...here are the IH part numbers
OIL - 1840752C91
FUEL - 1847170C92

About $9 a gallon for RotellaT 15-40 at the Walmart...I run it year round. I usually buy one gallon when we go get groceries...spreading that $40 out over a month or so makes it not as bad.

I've looked at getting the 5 gallon buckets and they are very little differance in cost over the gallon jugs. Not to mention a little harder to handle. A guy might save some if you bought a 55 gal drum, but...I reckon I'll stick to the gallon jugs.

A few other doodads that I've learned.

You need a good sized catch pan. My pans are barely enough to hold all of the oil...about 14-14.5 quarts.

The Fumoto valves are nice. I don't have one on the Stroke, but I did have one on the Turbo Coupe I used to have...really make changing the oil easier.

I like to drop the plug, then open the oil filter cap and let it sit for a while to drain out of the element. You still need to have a rag handy or else it will drool all the way across the fan shroud.

The new filter will come with a new oring for the filter cap. I coat it with oil before I set it in the groove. Then click the new element in place and thread it back home. No need to get carried away with getting it tight. I just get it snug...not sure how else to say it. I'd love to have some of the pretty aluminum caps, but until I break the factory plastic ones, I can't see the need.

That's all I can think of. It's really not a bad job, it just takes a little longer than doing a regular gas motor, but otherwise it's about the same.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
walmart for the filters...15 or 19 bucks (fram or motorcraft) you
pick...but theyre both EXACTLY the same.

cheapest ive found rotella (15-40) dino is costco a 6 gallon case is
around 54 bucks now (almost enough for TWO oil changes)

install a "quick drain valve" (formerly knows as fomoto valve)

find yourself a catch pan (15 or 19 qt capacity)...and an old 5gallon
jug (for transporting the waste oil)...dump the old oil at walmart (for free).

refill w/ NO MORE than 14 QUARTS of OIL

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the info fellow members.

I think this is a good thread to keep around for all 6.0 owners.

I may just be doing my next oil change and service myself.

Kinda getting excited about it.

06PSDROCK

Big Chief
Reaction score
Bama,
I get my filters from walmart. I use the ford filter. The last time I bought one all the fram filters were falling apart and the ford ones were not. That is why I use the Ford filters from there.

I get my oil from advanced auto parts. They sell the ford oil in 5 quart bottles for just under $12. You only need 3 bottles. This is the cheapest way to get your oil and filter to do it yourself.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Got another question.

How are you desposing of the old oil?

Does Advance, Autozone take it off your hands for free? or do they even offer that service?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr