What is this stuff in my coolant?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the international trucks (using "our" engine) have a spin
on coolant filter located at the water pump...some have
adapted the international water pump to our ford trucks.

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So, is flushing these beast fairly simple or is it something I should take in. I have swapped many an engine in my day and like to think of myself as being pretty competent around tools but, this thing scares me. It isn't an old Willys jeep or FE. A lot of hoses and not much room. And, I don't want to screw up my perfectly running $40,000 truck.

Also, if I am going to flush it, how tuff of an install is the coolant filter? I also saw mention of some antifreeze that is good for 200,000 plus miles, anybody know the brand name for me?

Thanks

Trapper

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So, is flushing these beast fairly simple or is it something I should take in. I have swapped many an engine in my day and like to think of myself as being pretty competent around tools but, this thing scares me. It isn't an old Willys jeep or FE. A lot of hoses and not much room. And, I don't want to screw up my perfectly running $40,000 truck.

Also, if I am going to flush it, how tuff of an install is the coolant filter? I also saw mention of some antifreeze that is good for 200,000 plus miles, anybody know the brand name for me?

Thanks

Trapper

Unless you feel the need to replace the coolant, there should be no reason to flush it. Just install the coolant filter bracket, the coolant filter and the associated hoses and the filter will do the rest. Took me about 30 minutes to do mine. If you need help, PM me.

Can't answer the 200K antifreeze question.

Good luck.

Al

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you feel the need to replace the coolant, there should be no reason to flush it. Just install the coolant filter bracket, the coolant filter and the associated hoses and the filter will do the rest. Took me about 30 minutes to do mine. If you need help, PM me.

It's probably been mentioned, but stock up on coolant filters when you order the kit. I went through three in the first nine months and once a year after that so if you're paying shipping anyway, it's always good to have a spare (or four) on hand.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can buy REPLACEMENT coolant filters HERE for about
1/2 the cost of the baldwins.

I can NOT recommend that site for oil or fuel filters how ever,
the fuel & oil filters they carry (for the 6.0 are not OE spec)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58