What is your Fuel Economy?

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
I am going to buy an 08'. I currently have a 2000 crew cab, four wheel drive f-250 long bed, with 310,000 miles on it. I previously installed a new set of injectors in at 300,000 and had to put a new cam sensor in at 150,000 miles. Those are the only problems I have had. I get about 15-16 MPG. If I can get the same milege or better with the 6.4L that would be a bonus. Let me know about fuel economy and any problems you have had.

Thanks,
Fast eddie

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any responses. I will tell you the fuel economy when my 08' gets here around July 1st. I will give a report as I put miles on about the overall truck performance and fuel economy.

albyh3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I've got a new F350, and was getting around 11 1/2-12 mpg local. I then took it on (2) 300 mile round trips on Fla. Tpke. too see what kind of mileage I'd get on the highway --- 13.95 & 14. Truck now has 1600 miles on it, and I'm hoping with some more use, the mileage gets better( but not too optimistic) Also bought a new 36' 5th wheel, and am real curious to see what kind of mileage I get when pulling it on the highway!
So far, impressed w/the truck, but not w/ the fuel consumption.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alb...the mileage will get better with more use...its still being broken in !!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your truck will not be broken in until at least 10,000 miles. You will get better mileage as time goes on. I have seen 19.9 mpg on a recent trip, but that is my best ever.

Dave

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
52k here....houston - dallas this morning...cruise set at 80 (gps verified)
and i scored almost 17 (16.7) including about 10miles getting TO
the interstate.

btw i paid 2.71 in houston this morning...and topped up for 2.58 just
south of dallas

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
Absolutely love my truck. Quiet as the V10. Haven't got enough miles on it yet to get the mpg. Manual says to wait at least 1000 miles before checking fuel mileage.

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. keep them coming as you put milege on. I will do the same when mine arrives in early July.

Hombre

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2008 F-450 king Ranch. This truck for sure and for certain is not the one for anyone to be judgng fuel milage by as it is a 4X4 with the towing and camper package and thus 4.88 gears. My milage has been simple miserable, but fellers you don't buy a truck like this one for the milage. If the truck performed elsewhere other than milage I "WOULD" have been a happy camper. Sadly not only the milage turned out to be an issue.

The milage was however. From the dealership to my house a 385 mile trip 8.1 mpg the onboard computer said 7.9 but hand caculating said a little better. But as HRTDDSL said maybe I should have waited to check it. I'm not smart enough to wait however so I have hand caculated every drop that has gone into this truck. Truck now has 1,622 miles on it and the milage is slowly going up. Last tank full was 11.6 mpg all highway driving and right at 65 mph on cruise control the whole way, well almost the whole way I did stop for a Bacon Cheese and Egg Biscuit, and then had to stop and shake those damn crumbs off of my new leather.

I don't think this truck will ever do much better than 12 mpg or so. But guys I have owned Duallys for a lot of years and I can remember real well not that many years ago when the only game in duallys was F350's and Chevy 3500. If you really wanted to haul or pull anything the only real choice was a 460 Ford or a 454 Chevy gas motor. If either one of those got 9 or 9 1/2 mpg you were real happy. Times have changed a whole lot sense then.

Hombre

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
There is a good article in the July 2007 issue of Diesel Power Magazine about the 6.4L powerstroke v.s. the V10 gasser. The gasser has 362hp and 457 lb-ft. Multiple runs from 15-65mph uphill with 8,500 lb's were done. The diesel was 7 seconds faster, and almost 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile empty. Average mpg towing 8,500 pounds in highway traffic was 15.66 mpg. Highway driving empty was over 19 mpg. They did not say how many miles were on the vehicle, but the word is that it takes at least 10,000 miles to break them in. The average mpg of the gasser was just over 10, not that anyone cares. Both vehicles were f-250 4x4 extended cab short bed pickups with torqueshift trans. The diesel had 3.73 gears (the only gearing available in a diesel f-250) and the gasser had 4.30 gears (4.10's are standard). I hope I see milege like this after 10,000 miles.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64