What's the best intake kit sold for the 6.0?

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll hear a number of opinions on this. I don't want to know the prettiest air filter, I'm looking for real data. What air filter do you KNOW increases air flow, keps air cooler, filters better, etc than stock?

It's time for me to change from my stock filter (25,000 miles). I want to go with a rechargeble aftermarket.

Thanks for your knowledge on this:sweet

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
like you said, you'll get alot of opinions

i am by no means an expert, but i do like the new banks system that i have.

it has an 8 layer media filter that is re-chargable.

it keeps all the hot engine air out, by being a self contained enclosed unit.

along with the cold air intake mod (zoodad mod), it sucks in alot of colder air from the outside.

here is the LINK to more information.

then there is the AFE stage II, S&B, volant, Air-raid, and so on and so on.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Stay away from K&N filters. They are not made to run all day on your truck. They do not filter that well.

Dave

Reaction score
some people really know how to open a can of worms. i'm running the s&b intake rechargeable filter their tests state that its a 27% increase over stock delivers plenty of air in my opinion. the website can explain it alot better than me. http://www.sbfilters.com/

dpantazis

Reaction score
don;t the 6.0L have the AIS installed from the factory? the AIS you have on your truck already is probably the BEST filter out there with a track record that is iraq proven! many of us 7.3 folks have upgraded to that one. the filters are incredible.

if you want to increase airflow, you >can< add the fender sleeve to get more air in, but you should do the zoodad. info in the wiki.

dennis

Reaction score
i've found out you can load alot of dirt and dust in the factory filter and still have it look clean. dropped it on the floor and had a great big pile of the stuff. i work offroad everyday so i went with an oil charged filter does a much better job of stopping fine dust.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
OK, I'll throw my :2c in here too. I think dennis said the same thing, but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the stock filter on the 6.0L. Sure, it's a pain to change the element (gets easier after a few times), but I would say (this was also said by a Donaldson rep on another site) that there is no filter that will do a better job cleaning the air going into your engine. This is one area that I would NEVER want to compromise on (being a diesel tech myself.) I also will note that Ford and/or dealers will be QUICK to void a warranty on a truck with an aftermarket intake, if there is an engine failure. Trust me, you don't want to buy one of these engines, I did once :eek:. Do an exhaust if you want more flow, and a cooler running engine, but keep your filter stock. Your engine will thank you...

Oh, and I always tried to figure out the logic of a rechargeable filter. So you save on elements, you don't have to buy new ones every time (I'd rather have a new one every time, but that's just me) BUT, you do need to clean and re oil it. How long does that take?? Just guessing, half an hour?? You do need to wait for it to dry, so maybe an hour. I think the oem filters are 40 - $50.

Well, my pa always said that everyone knows how much their worth...:roflmao

OK, maybe that was $2 not :2c :D

Last edited:

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
RoyRob,
Sounds like the final word on that.

We can expand this conversaion by answering "What performance products, i.e. chips and tuners, exhaust, etc. best serve the 6.0 platform?"

What's your thoughts fellas?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
What performance products, i.e. chips and tuners, exhaust, etc. best serve the 6.0 platform?

The first question to ask is if you want to have a warranty on your truck or not. All tuners will void your warranty in ford's eyes, it just depends on if Ford ever sees that you are using a tuner. Usually this issue is dealer dependent. Some dealers don't care about tuned up trucks, and some do.

I run, well ran :D a custom- tuned SCT, most will agree on it being the best or one of the best tuners for the 6.0.

As far as exhaust, I've been the most impressed with MBRP products. Not saying others are not bad, they are all prolly pretty good. Just depends how much noise you want to make...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14