when to change oil again?

indycecil

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I just did the most expensive oil chage I have ever seen.:roflmao Now my question is how many mile before next oil change. 3500 miles seems like an awful short period seeing as how I put 4 gallons of oil in.

Rotell SAE 30 with Fram filter

Remeber I a new with the diesel thing. Am not new to wrenching though.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you use 30wt and not a 15w40 ? Rotell is good but not heard of many people using a straight WT oil in one.? Are you sure you used a Diesel rated oil? Hardly anyone uses Fram filters any more. You can find a Motorcraft at Wal-Mart for not much more than a Fram.

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella SAE 30 isn't rated for Powerstokes (it's in the fine print somewhere). I did the same thing when I did my first oil change. I ran it for 3000 miles then changed to 15-w40. I noticed a big difference in the way the engine ran and sounded. I don't think it really hurts anything, but I know I'm not going to chance it anymore.

5000 miles is the normal oil change period.

indycecil

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thought I was doing good

didn't look at the fine print.
I am going to pull my 30 foot travel trailer to VA beach next week, when I get back I will change it, AGAIN. thanks for the info.
Should I use Rotell again or something different?
Thanks in advance

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Rotella if fine, but use what ever you like just al long as it is rated for diesel engines.

Dave

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
indycecil said:
Well I just did the most expensive oil chage I have ever seen.:roflmao Now my question is how many mile before next oil change. 3500 miles seems like an awful short period seeing as how I put 4 gallons of oil in.

Rotell SAE 30 with Fram filter

Remeber I a new with the diesel thing. Am not new to wrenching though.
Rotalla 15w-40 is what I use. It works great.

I do 5000 mile intervals. My recommendation is that you keep samples of your old oil (AS it comes out of the truck, not from teh oil pan on the floor, it has too many contaminants) and send it in to Blackstone labs to get it analyzed. This will tell you what your recommended intervals should be.

I've been fine at 5,000 miles, my oil is so nice after 5K it is almost a shame to change it and throw it out. I have even considered recycling it in my lawnmower, but it was too much effort for 2 bucks in oil. SO, I just burn it in the old waste oil heater and call it good.

Also, with the FRAM filter, be careful and pay attention for the first 500 miles or so... I've had the roll seams at the top fail on two fram filters. Dumped LOTS of oil really quickly. I like Napa Gold and Motorcraft just because of my two Fram failures. Mybe just freaky abhorrations (Fram said I was tightening them too much, but I put them on and take them off with my bare hands, don't use a wrench, so I think that one is out. Besides, never had any trouble with any other filters...)

Last edited:

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the service manuals are different on the newer models but, on my 95 it says regular service interval is at 5,000 miles unless under extreme duty. That's what I have done for 350,000 miles with Rotella 15-40. Works for me and easier to keep up with service at even numbered miles.

Last edited:

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the PSD specific Fram filters have cardboard in them or not .... but I know the one's for SBF's do. That is enough to make most people steer away from using them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14