When to get concerned?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my boat back to my house from my buddies last Saturday. Part of that trip included going over a small hill. I watched the oil temp and trans gauges. The oil got up to 219 degrees. It was 90 degrees outside at the time. The reason I ask is next weekend we're heading to Az and have a pretty decent hill to get over. I don't have an EGT gauge yet. It's in the plan though. Oh, my boat weighs about 5000lbs. I know the truck wasn't trying hard. I just want to keep an eye on things.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Gauges are the only way to know for sure. 5000 pound load is nothing. Get a set of three gauges and a pillar mount. That is what I did and I like knowing the temps whenever I want to. And they are out of the way. ;tu

Dave

JRJ04

Reaction score
if you're running synthetic, you dont even need to bat an eye at it until it gets up to 240*. I've read about others pulling their 5ers over a steep pass in colorado and 240* is where it topped out. like dave said, 5k is nothing ti even blink at.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now it's whatever they fill it with at the factory. The truck only has about 1200 miles on it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my boat back to my house from my buddies last Saturday. Part of that trip included going over a small hill. I watched the oil temp and trans gauges. The oil got up to 219 degrees. I don't have an EGT gauge yet. It's in the plan though. I know the truck wasn't trying hard. I just want to keep an eye on things.

Until you get an EGT gauge.. when yer pulling a grade.. just use yer gears to keep yer RPM's up around 2400.. yul be just fine.

Joe

Old Guy Stuff: It's not how FAST you go up the hill.. It's how WELL you go up the hill. (?)

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a patient man when it comes to getting over hills. I'd rather take a little longer and not beat up my gear.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I might have a reason to be concerned. Coming home today I was coming up the mountain between Arizona and San Diego. The first part of the hill is pretty steep. I wasn't watching the oil temp because it did fine on the way out. But I noticed the engine temp was up there. The gauge was about 3/4 of the way over. I pulled up the oil temp and it was at 242. I immediately slowed down to 60mph and manually downshifted to 4th. I was at 70mph in 6th. I had the trans in tow/haul mode. It never downshifted by itself. The oil temp hit 244 before that run was over. The trans topped out at 205 and the boost was at 20psi. Once I crested that part of the hill the oil temp dropped right down. The engine temp took a few minutes to stabilize where it is normally. Which is just under halfway. I manually locked the trans in 5th from that point on. I did try to get it to warm up a couple times by putting it in 6th and getting the boost up, but it never got that hot again. I did have the A/C on and it was 96 degrees outside. I turned the A/C off until it cooled down. The rest of the way up the mountain the oil temp stayed around 220.

Overall the truck did well. It towed a lot better than I'm used to. Coming from a 5.4 Expedition to a diesel engine is a big change. According to the dash the overall mpg was 13.7. That was with a regen halfway through the trip on the way out. The Expedition would get 9-11 depending on what part of the trip we were on.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an .03's worth ?

240 +/- EOT.... No Worries.

It's good to get a dezel good'n warm now'n then, and with todays oils, lubes and coolants.. again No Worries... with a Good Hard Pull now & then.

The fact the ECM/PCM didn't command a down shift sez things were within limits too (?).. IMO.

Yer in the Learning Curve guy.... It' gits Better & Better.

Try using the gears and light braking.. in "M" going down hills.. instead of those high RPM's in Tow Haul... yul like that too.

Joe

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left it in 5th coming down the back side too. I used the exhaust brake to slow it down instead of the brakes. Never felt unstable. It just wanted to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64