Where is the PCM?

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me locate the PCM (Powertrain Control Module)? I also need so help determining:
-if power is getting to it
-if power is getting out of it to components it supplies
-if it is bad

I have posted some pictures. Can you use them to answer these qauestions? Your help would be much appreciated.

Attached are three pictures, with filenames:

Inside Cab #X.jpg
Behind the emergency brake and the clutch pedal is the back side of a connector

I have labeled #1. Connector #2 is not visible in this picture.

Inside Cab #Y.jpg
This is a picture of connector #1 (the same connector #1 that is in Inside Cab

#X.jpg.) and connector #2

Under Hood #Z.jpg
This is a picture of three connectors (A, B and C) under the hood that are

coming through the firewall right by the steering column. I ASSUME, but am not certain,

that Connector C is #2 and B is #1. A is not visible in pictures #X or #Y

What is motivating my questions:

11/2 I started my truck on a 30 F degree morning, (we have had a few other mornings

this cold and it started and ran fine). Three minutes later as I gave it a little "gas"

it died. It would still turn over after this but the WTS (Wait To Start) light never

came on. After reading on some forums I verified that fuse #22 in the fuse box under

the hood right above the steering column is good.

97 F350 PowerStroke 7.3L.

MrTailLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can create a signature with your truck info. this way we know what year your working with, what mods are done, and things like that.

off the bat no knowing what year you have, i dont know where the PCM is.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Underhood "Z" pic, item identified as "C" is the PCM harness. The PCM slides into that slot which ends up being between the parking brake and the fenderwell on the pic labeled "inside cab "X". The parking brake assy can be removed to access the front side of the PCM.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Bowl Heater Went Bad

After four days of searching mechanic "B" determined that the PCM was bad. But later said it wasn't. So he looked further and found that the fuel bowl heater was burned up and it had in turn shut down the PCM (so the WTS wouldn't light). BUT- fuse 22 under the hood was not blown. The engine would turn over fine but it wouldn't start.

I will include some of the additional "twists" that occur with these highly electronic PSDs. A week before this mechanic had seen my truck, another top notch mechanic, mechanic "A" was replacing the alternator (and the serpentine belt tensioner) and found that both batteries were in good shape.

Mechanic "B" had to replace one of my batteries because it wouldn't hold a charge.

So the net of this is that my alternator, one battery, and fuel bowl heater went bad and led a good mechanic to suspect a bad PCM. Some of these failures were probably related. In all my truck had to be in a two different shops for a total of eight days and one "heavy tow" wrecker fee was incurred.

Getting these problems fixed takes patience!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Mechanic "B" isn't worth his salt. You never replace "one" battery in a Ford diesel, only replace in pairs.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14