Where to check next

ranaumo

Diesel Junkie
Reaction score
Howdy again.:)

My problem is the truck is turning over real slow and not always wanting to start.
Here is what I have checked/Done so far:
Replaced both batteries with Optima blue
Cleaned ground and engine contacts
metered the batteries at idle - getting 14.5 volts
Checked teh GP circuit, battery drops, then goes up after a bit to the right corner of teh battery picture.

Any ideas what could be causing teh problem? At idle, the lights do not dim and it appears to be charging well. Is it possible the starter may be wearing out some of the windings?

I also checked Joat's page and there is no reference for a IH starter. What would be considered a better bet for quality?

Thanks,

Ron

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
If it is your starter, this ebay seller has great prices and a flawless ebay reputation. I've ordered from them before and their service is tops.:sweet They also sell a high torque starter for our trucks.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
With the trouble shooting you have done to this point, I would have to agree with the starter as the prime suspect.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with starter. Had to face that problem in the middle of nowhere this summer while travelling across the country. Sounds like you are having the same problems. I just thought the engine was hard to start since the starter had been weak since I got it. New starter and BANG started right up.

I 3rd that one...probably starter.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Check that the contact area between the starter and block is clean and free of oil & grease. That is your starter motor ground. Oil & grease can prevent a good ground contact.

When I worked for Car Quest, I took in a LOT of core starters that bench checked good but were just oily & greasy.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just went through the same stuff you did. i replaced the starter and it works good. i too thought it was the batteries and cleaned the connectios as well.

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is your starter, this ebay seller has great prices and a flawless ebay reputation. I've ordered from them before and their service is tops.:sweet They also sell a high torque starter for our trucks.

I'll have to agree with the ebay seller, I got one from them and BOY Houdy does it spin up this thing when I want it to start.:sweet
One more thing you may want to try, Check the big cable going to the starter. Mine was all rusted up and the nut was loose just a bit. Looked OK by just looking at it but I didn't find it out till I was replacing the starter.:doh:
I have the old one on the shelf, don't think anything iis wrong with it.

Good Luck!!!

RoReRi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14