Where's the factory radio amplifier

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
My 97 has the "premium" factory CD player. It is supposed to have a factory amp. Anyone know where the amp is located? I want to install an aftermarket radio and It calls for a different harness than my 93 had. Thanks

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is mounted to a plate and located under the dash, above and inboard of the accelerator pedal. If you remove the amp and its harness, you are left with the "standard" harness ends (which can be re-routed to the radio opening on the dash). Then the readily available pigtails can be used to install the aftermarket deck. Cheers!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Been a while but it seems like when I installed my aftermarket head unit that I also installed a jumper harness that bypassed the amp.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Thanks guys. There are two different harness available. One to keep the factory amp and one to bypass the amp. Sounds like Patrick's way is the easiest because I already have the "standard" connection harness on my aftermarket radio. Thanks again

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Ok found the amp:sweet But the plug ends are differant than the harness on my Kenwood radio. SO... I guess I'm still stuck with the factory CD player until I find the correct harness.-mad

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you unplug the amp harness completely (meaning all the connectors and not just from the amp and deck)? Cheers!

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
I disconnected the amp, pulled it out of the truck and looked at all of the connections I could find. No go.

82FordTruck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the output of the amplifier is the same as the output of the regular stereo without premium sound. Can't you just pull the wire back up the dash and plug it in?

Want to trade a nice working Sony CD player for that amp, harness, and any brackets? I want to go the other way - have a brand new ford tape player with the plastic still on it.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
The plugs on the radio have flat spade type connections and the amp plug and the factory wire harnes round pins. The connectors are differant also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64