Which Air Filter

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the stupid newbie questions. I'm still trying to get all the little things done to this truck that I just picked up. No offense, but the search function isn't really all that helpful on this site.

The truck is a '99 with a build date of 06/98. My air filter is NASTY & I wanted to get a K&N. Which one fits? Will the 33-2248 work? I'd like the AIS kit, but I don't have the $$$ to drop on that right now.

Thanks.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
On the DIY filter (stock looking) that is used, is the same price for the identical size K&N filter.. I found that out after Id already doe the mod

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
SeventyMach1 said:
Sorry for all the stupid newbie questions.
That's what this board is for... No apologies...

The truck is a '99 with a build date of 06/98. My air filter is NASTY & I wanted to get a K&N. Which one fits? Will the 33-2248 work? I'd like the AIS kit, but I don't have the $$$ to drop on that right now.

Thanks.
I would not get a drop-in replacement K&N. My truck had one on it when I bought it, and it had passed a bunch of dirt. They do not seal to the stock airbox (the stock airbox being a piece of crap all by itself, and the K&N just adding to the mix). My friend who is probably the best mechanically-minded person I know calls K&N "squirrel traps" because anything smaller than a squirrel is going to get through.

For the best flowing aftermarket filter available, and the one with the most piece of mind on the filtration end of things, I recommend doing a DIY BHAF mod. BHAF stands for Big Honkin Air Filter. All you need is a Napa 6637 (Guys, help me out, is this the right number???) air filter, and either a piece of 4" exhaust pipe or a 3.5" ABS coupler, and a 4" hose clamp. YOu can get all of this for less than $40. There is an article in the Wiki to show you how to do it, but the skinnny is:

you take off the stock airbox, stick the coupler or the exhaust pipe piece into the end of the factory intake hose, stick the other end of the pipe or coupler into the big cannister-style air filter you bought from Napa, and tighten both connections down with hose clamps. If it takes you more than 15 minutes, you drank too much beer before you started... :roflmao

There are several VERY distinct advantages to this setup over any other setup that I could find.

1.) Flows WAAAAAAYYY more air than stock. This was the first air filter installation that I ever did that I could actually FEEL a gain in power from.

2.) Filters as good or better than stock. It is a paper filter, which study after study has shown to be the best filtration media available for stopping dirt. The downside is that paper does not flow as much air as cotton gauze or foam. This mod makes up for that by making the filter HUUUGE, so it has enough surface area to flow big air, and still filter it good, too.

3.) Eliminates the stock airbox with the "tabs of death" that will destroy your engine if they decide to let go.

4.) Checking the filter for dirtiness is as easy as popping the hood. No airbox to disassemble. It makes for an easy change-out, too.

Anyway, that's my .02. Hope it helps...

Reaction score
Can the piece of exhaust pipe or ABS coupler be picked up from the parts store, or are you better off stopping by an exhaust place and asking for scraps?:thanks

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that how-to, they didn't say anything about relocating the IAT sensor. I wouldn't feel confortable leaving it out. Any input on that?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Mine is zip tied right next to the filter element. It reads what the intake temps are just fine. You can't eliminate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58