Which ATF fluid for TorqShift?

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
The TorqShift requires Mercon SP, I use Royal Purple in everything I drive, RP does not recommend their Max ATF fluid in replace of Mercon SP and Ford warranty is not covered any longer either (it states this on the back of the bottle). So which way do I go? Mobil 1 doen't say on the back of the bottle if it can replace the Mercon SP. Somebody help, I'm lost now. . .

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercon SP is synthetic. SP uses Group III synthetic base stocks, compared to Mercon and Mercon V, which can be formulated with Group I and Group II synthetic base stocks.

In case you were wondering, the biggest differences between SP and the two older Mercon specs are the viscosity requirements. SP requires a kinematic viscosity of 5.5 to 6 square millimeters per second at 100 degrees C, compared to a minimum of 6.8 for both Mercon and Mercon V. SP also has more stringent requirements for cold-temperature Brookfield viscosity.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Mercon SP is synthetic. SP uses Group III synthetic base stocks, compared to Mercon and Mercon V, which can be formulated with Group I and Group II synthetic base stocks.

In case you were wondering, the biggest differences between SP and the two older Mercon specs are the viscosity requirements. SP requires a kinematic viscosity of 5.5 to 6 square millimeters per second at 100 degrees C, compared to a minimum of 6.8 for both Mercon and Mercon V. SP also has more stringent requirements for cold-temperature Brookfield viscosity.
That is good solid info, thanks for posting. :sweet

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i picked up my 22quarts of Mercon SP from A-Line auto parts
(they have locations in dallas, austin & houston)...they STOCK THE
MERCON SP !

at least a year ago i paid 3.15 per quart....which was better than
the 5.xx the dealer wanted.

theyre web page isnt working but you can at least google 'em and
get a phone number.

this guys also got it (cheaper than the dealer)...
Motorcraft TorqShift fluid XT-6-QSP Mercon SP

follow these directions (below) to perform a COMPLETE flush --->
Truckblog - How-To Flush Ford's Torqueshift Transmission

bigmike33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mike, didn't know SP was synthetic

Hi did u use the Mercon sp in your tranny. I am wondering because I am going to change mine in my 2004. Not sur what to buy. I have been a Synthetic fluid person all my life in gas engines( i run mobil1 Syn in my 1977 Trans Am with a 455 big block and my 05 Chrsyler 300) but not sure for my diesels tranny.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercon SP is the only fluid that should be put in your transmission.

Mercon SP is synthetic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14