Whining sound from engine compartment

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Just sharing an experience for the benefit of others...

I have a 2004 F-250 6.0. On the day of the purchase (6 weeks ago) I could hear a relatively faint whining noise from the engine compartment that didn't sound right. The best description I can give is...it sounded like a traditional power steering pump that was running dry. I made it a condition of the purchase that the dealer would correct the problem, if there was one.

Based probably on my "power steering sound" description, the dealership replaced the pump. That was a stupid thing for them to do without correctly diagnosing the problem, but that's what they did. That did not make the sound go away.

Unsure if there really was an issue, meaning I wasn't sure that it wasn't a normal sound for a 6.0, I lived with it until today. Finally I decided to go back and have them take another look at it...and am I ever glad I did!

They found the noise to be coming from the High Pressure Oil Pump! They should be finished with it by some time early tomorrow. Better to addres it while it is just a sound, rather than address it after it fails, and possibly ruins the engine!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14