Whining

san-man

BAD FKR
Reaction score
Recently my truck has developed a whining noise which seems to be coming from the front end. It gets slightly louder at speed and go away when at a stop. I put it in neutral and let it roll and the noise is still there. It almost sounds like mud tires going down the road but I do not have mud tires (I have Toyo Open Country A/T's) and I have really never had this noise before. So I am curious on to what to do next to find out what the problem is before I just finally decide to take my truck in.

Thanks for your time,
Carlos

san-man

BAD FKR
Reaction score
After surfing the net for awhile. I am pretty sure that this is my issue. I guess I will be going to the Dealership after all.

2005-07 4X2 Front Wheel Bearing Noise:
Trucks built before 7-21-06 may exhibit front wheel bearing noise, resulting from debris entering the bearings. Replace the front wheel bearings and assciated parts as needed. Install revised dust shields to reduce contamination: 7C3Z-2B159-A (LH) and -B (RH). TSB #06-16-2

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you hear it right around 1100 RPM, and it goes away as you increase your speed.
Doug

san-man

BAD FKR
Reaction score
As speed increases, it seems to get slightly louder and only goes away when coming to a complete stop. For a day, I actually thought it was the tires but now I am not so sure. So, I plan on going ahead and taking it to the dealership and see if it is the tire or the bearing. Personally, I am hoping for the tire still.

The truck still drives fine. Power still the same which has me wondering if it is the bearing.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Does one hub feel warmer/hotter than the other? This would indicate a bearing going bad, if it is hotter than the other.

Dave

san-man

BAD FKR
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I did not think to try to see if either hub was abnormally hotter. I figure I can try to figure it out by Friday since that is when I have my appointment to get the truck checked out.

I really hope it is something simple though.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has developed a whining noise that's coming from the front end,
and I took it in to the dealer. The mechanic found a bolt that had backed
out a turn or two somewhere around the down pipe.
My truck is doing it again and they can't find it. LOL
Doug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14