White smoke and Whistle

rusty abrams

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I have an `06 with the 6L. It started shuttering the other day while cruising down the road at around 1500rpm under light load. Acted like it was missing. Runs fine over 1800. Then tonight driving through town it started making a high pitched whistling sound and a TON of white smoke came pouring out of the exhaust. I was only a couple of block from home, and when I got there the whistling and white smoke had stopped.

I installed a Bully Dog Outlook and Power Pup several years ago, and was told that was my problem with the shuttering and missing, so I rezeroed back to stock and disconnected everything, but the problem continues.

Any help would be greatly, GREATLY, appreciated.

Rusty :dunno

atk

Reaction score
did you check your coolant level? check your oil for antifreeze contamination....

sounds like possibly egr cooler let go....or head gaskets....

rusty abrams

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oils good. The coolant was down about a gallon. I've been doing a lot of reading, and am leaning to it being the EGR/EGR Cooler. I've found EGR replacement kits, and EGR Cooler replacement kits. Yea...I'm running my truck strickly off road/racing...blah blah blah...(there's the legal disclaimer) So I am really wanting to get rid of all this EGR crap my truck doesn't need, but not sure what all it will entail.

Any idea's on kits, or what all needs removed?

Also, I'm kind of stuck with working out of town. How quick do I need to get this fixed. Do I need to park the truck immediately, or can I just baby it along for another week?

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
my egr cooler was leaking pretty good for a while and i just made sure i had plenty of coolant in it at all times until i got my egr delete kit and studs in so i could get them put on...i just got my kit from dfuser.com lots of them out there i dont remember the site but i found one later that they ship you a new intake manifold ready to go then you have to ship em your old one its like 700 bux i think the one i got was like 400 or so just what i did for what its worth. went ahead and got the studs put in since i was already going to have quite a bit of the truck taken apart

PDLFORD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The whistling I have experienced is coolant blowing out the top of the degas bottle,white smoke could be steam from a bad egr cooler. I currently am having this issue for the second time, unfortunately I am no longer under any warranty.

creeper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the whistle is the degas cap blowing off because the cooling system pressure has exceeded 16 psi. with a leak that large i would suspect an egr cooler first. but with a tuner i always install head studs and the gaskets from rivercity diesel. if you can weld or know a welding shop you can just have your old cooler welded shut. thats what i would do for the cheapest fix. also egr cooler failures come from restricted oil coolers causing the hot coolant to stay inside the egr cooler with no flow. we are to replace all oil cooler heat exchangers with any egr cooler repair. just some info for ya.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14