white smoke engine locked

justinaustin29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have a 2004 ford with a 6.0 have had cooling system problems replaced radiator everything fine for a while noticed white smoke or steam coming out of tailpipe never overheated got to work tryed to go to lunch engine wont turn over think hydro locked has this happed to anyone need help or suggestions

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The EGR cooler can cause this. It has happened many times. If you can, do an EGR Delete. This should take care of it for quite a while.

Dave

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
iv'e looked at a lot of egr delet kits they all look simillar is there any one better than the other

Most egr.kits are about the same. I just installed one on my truck. I had to pull the injectors on 5 and 7 to push out the coolant from hydro lock.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
You can pull the glow plugs to unlock it, they are much easier to get out ;)

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I heard about that, just could not find real good detailed instruction. I have changed out injectors before so I knew how to do that.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Careful not to bend a rod. Make sure you get ALL coolant out when you get your glowplugs or injectors out. Couldnt it also be a blown head gasket? Time for head studs and gaskets??:dunno

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Couldn't it also be a blown head gasket???:dunno

If it was a head gasket it would have different signs. Head gaskets normally are indicated by excess pressure and blow out from the degas bottle and white smoke. If it smokes white and the degas is normal (except for the loss of coolant) it normally is the EGR cooler and Oil cooler failure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg