Question Who changes the oil in the top of the engine to prolong injector life?

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been watching the videos of Bill Hewitt on POWERSTROKEHELP.COM and I came across the one where he talks about changing the oil in the top of the engine to help prolong the life of the injectors. I'm very anal about maintenance. So I want to do this myself. I was wondering who else does this, and what you used to pump the oil out? I'm looking for an electric pump that won't break the bank. If you guys have any ideas on what pumps will work well with oil and are affordable, please pass the information along. Thanks.

http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/7.3li..._tune/1of4.asp

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It's far more trouble than what it's worth.

There is a minimal amount of oil in the HPOP reservoir, something in the neighborhood of a pint compared to 15 quarts, almost 4 gallons in the oil pan & filter. Or in other terms, the HPOP reservoir accounts for likely less than 5% of the total capacity of the oil system.

Also, the injector system is not a "closed" oil system. The HPOP reservoir is continually replenished from the engines main oil system. The oil volume in the HPOP reservoir is cycled out I'm sure in less than a minute with the engine running.

The guy you refer to in the video has a fairly large following of fans. Not fans of of his "technical" expertise. But fans that find what he sometimes says as hillarious entertainment.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think Bill (CHPMustang) changes his, and said once something along the lines of "I don't care what you clowns think, it's my truck and I'm gonna do it my way."
and hey, it works for him, so I'll tell you right now,
if you want to go through the effort to do it, have at it.
I don't do it on mine, but again, it's my truck and....

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont do mine and everyone i know also does not do it. Im sure that there are a bunch of high mile trucks that have never had it done.

cnaulty620

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
any quicklube will have a pump with a few different tips used to pump out gear oil from axles or manual transmissions and other tight spaces . . . it may cost you but if the guys at the shop know how to do it and they have the oil and the equipment i would let them do it. it cant cost more than like 25-30 bucks.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it may be a good thing for us early 99 or OBS trucks to do once a year because we have no screen in the reservoir...other wise its not really needed..as said above..the oil is pumped out and refilled in a matter of minutes...take what ever Bill says with a grain of salt..

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really needed..as said above..the oil is pumped out and refilled in a matter of minutes...take what ever Bill says with a grain of salt..

X2.. Kinda like [routinely].. changing yer Brake Fluid, IMO ?

Joe

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I change mine every oil change:

1. Open valve on the bottom of oil pan.
2. Shut valve when oil is drained.
3. Remove and replace oil filter.
4. Fill with oil pan with new oil.
5. Start engine. Let run for 5 minutes.
6. Stop engine, re-check oil level. Add oil as necessary.
HPO resevoir oil change complete.

Seriously, I would only extract oil from the resevoir if I were switching to synthetic.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is as much oil in the oil rails that is not changed even if you do change what is in the HPO reservoir.

I haven't and do not plan on starting to change mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14