Who trains their dogs

dmd

Reaction score
I am on a Next-door board and they seem to have lots of dogs that get out and just run away or cant be caught. We always trained our dogs, they know that they better stay close to home if they get out and if they get called they better come right away. Sit, stay, laydown are understood, they know to stay at heal when walking... Are small dogs not smart enough to do this?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere not too long ago that most people don't train little dogs because they're not that hard to handle. Compared to a big dog at least. My shep is probably the best trained out of the 3. When she hears my voice she knows to listen. The rottie has the basics down. As does the shih tzu. The shih tzu got out once as a puppy. She walked to the front door and waited for us to get home.

greenb69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been working with dogs sense the military and I think the most important thing is bonding with your dog. This way they just want nothing more than to please you. They will learn what you expect of them and do it. Little dogs can be a challenge and lots more work but can be trained.
I have owned Shepard's, dobes, Chow's, and several small breeds but I will take a large dog any day. My Australian Shepherd can sense my mood and respond. Most of the time I don't need to say a word as he reads my body language.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58