Question why does my truck surge??

jtfarns

JTFARNS
Reaction score
Hope someone can help. When I start it cold (even if it has been plugged in all night) it will surge at part throttle until it is COMPLETELY warmed up. The only way I have been able to get it clear and run right is to give it a FULL throttle blast down the road. I don't like to have to boot the throttle like that. Has anyone else run into this?? Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope someone can help. When I start it cold (even if it has been plugged in all night) it will surge at part throttle until it is COMPLETELY warmed up. The only way I have been able to get it clear and run right is to give it a FULL throttle blast down the road. I don't like to have to boot the throttle like that. Has anyone else run into this?? Thanks

What Dave said.. 5W40 is best (full syn is better).. And..

You gota lota things going on while the Cold Start functions are doing their thing.

EBPV could be closed, cutting air of to the turbo.

High idle may be cycling

Fan clutch could be cutting in & out

:dunno

Try letting it (high) idle for 3-5 minutes before you take off.

Maybe a Duh but....These things Operate off of HEAT.. not much happens right, 'til about 150* of [even] Head temp, oil temp and Coolant temp.

WOT is not a Good Thing.. on a Cold engine ?? JMO :D ?

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
sounds like your ebpv is coming on and than going off and than on and off. Mine does it tell it gets up to a good warm temp. sometimes it drives me nuts!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I had a surging when cold issue once upon a time. I could hear a change in the tone of the engine/injectors when it would happen. What would happen was when accelerating on the highway, the engine would seem to momentarily loose a little power amd the engine would get a bit quieter. After a few seconds, the power would return along with the normal sound of the engine.

I guessed that since the tone of the engine/injectors was changing, I thought that maybe it was maybe a HPOP pressure issue. Since the IPR controls the HPOP presure I figured that was a good place to start.

I changed the IPR and never had the problem again. FWIW: They do have o ring kits for the IPR which is a bit cheaper.

jtfarns

JTFARNS
Reaction score
I just got the truck and haven't changed the oil yet.
Having it surge when it is idling is tolerable but when I try to drive it down the road it surges and drives me nuts. I only have a 6 minute commute to work so it does it all the way there. I hate to have to boot the throttle when cold. I will look into the IPR as soon as I look it up and see what and where it is. Thank you all.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Order yourself a Fumoto valve for the truck before you change the oil. It will sure help with future oil changes!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Diesels like to get HOT and a 6 minute commute will not do it. You will end up getting carbon everywhere if you don't take it out and RUN IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!! Find a highway and floor it until you get up to speed.

Dave ;tu

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58