Why increas the idle speed?

wheelhopper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did a search and cannot find why some owners increase the idle speed:dunno. If someone can clue me in I would be most appreciative.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general, I can think of two good reasons.

First, if it's cold outside and you want to heat up your cab, your engine won't get warm enough just idling normally.

Second and probably most importantly, it would allow you to use high-power electrical equipment. Winches, worklights, etc draw a lot of juice, and increasing the idle allows the alternator to supply more power. Some folks also have PTO's installed on their trannies, and increasing idle speed allows these devices to work better.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i dont know about the 6.4, or 6.0, but i know the 7.3 does not have this issue....WET STACKING! some of the new big boy turbo diesel engines (detroit 60, cat c-15...) will fill the exhaust with oil from the turbo from idling too long. basically these engines arent working hard enough to keep the turbo at its designed operating tempurature, so tolerances are not what they should be, causing a slight oil leak. when you start driving after idling for an hour, it blows nice black oil all over the side of your truck.

other than that, power accessories and engine temp in the winter like bbressler said.

wheelhopper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys.

I don't think I'll worry about this yet. I'll see how the truck does this winter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64