why is there a diff between being cold and warm?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
To add something to my last post though, I said the only major benefactor of cold oil was the auto trannies, I lied, err didn't think my statement through. In a perfect world, 15-40 diesel engine oil would be pretty fluid at freezing temps, but pour it out at 25* and at 90* and you can visually see quite a bit of difference, so in our engines that also adds to the effect, as our injectors rely completely on engine oil to fire.

I'll go back to post #21 and still say that all fluids are stiff and contribute to increased drag on a cold start and will make the truck feel doggy until warmed up. Jack your truck up some morning when its near 0 and spin the rear wheels by hand, then drive the truck and get everything warm and repeat test. 80/90 or 80/140 is like tar @ 0°f.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
In a perfect world, 15-40 diesel engine oil would be pretty fluid at freezing temps, but pour it out at 25* and at 90* and you can visually see quite a bit of difference, so in our engines that also adds to the effect, as our injectors rely completely on engine oil to fire.

thank you..:cool:

although it is true that all the fluids are cold and do have an effect on drag, but i don't think they would make that much of a difference.. but i can easily be wrong. so i will agree that all the fluids being cold makes a big difference on performance. but my mom's dodge doesn't act as sluggish as mine when it's cold. but also my truck will out run her dodge all day long so it doesn't really matter now does it? :lmao

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
is it hard to believe? it is an '02 and from doing some reading on it i have learned that b/c its an auto it only has around 195hp stock to the rear wheels. yes, i out run it all day long with my manual tranny. stock to stock. it doesn't matter my truck just has more balls!! :lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14