Wierd electrical problem?

AKPwrStroke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2001 F250 7.3 PS
170k mi

Hello Powerstroke gurus! First I want to thank you for taking the time to read my post and assist if possible. I am military, stationed in Alaska, and If I dont get this fixed soon, Ill be SOL as my truck is too big to fit in most garages.

My truck has a wierd electrical problem I believe. First, and mainly it wont start. Not even the common starter solenoid click. When I turn the key on, I get all normal indications, guages, ding ding, etc. But then when I turn the key forward to start it, I get nothing. No click under the hood, no click at the starter. (Almost seems like it doesnt realize that its in park) For some reason though, the doors lock everytime I turn the key forward. I dont remember it doing that before.

Second, there are two relays, between the airbox and the pwr. dist. block that choose to randomly click back and forth, back and forth. It doesnt matter if the key is on, off, or out of it. Does anyone know what these relays are for?

Third, there is some sort of electrical switch/motor on the transfer case that tries to randomly engage/disengage, usually after I try to start it, then turn the key off, it trys quite a few times.

Again I want to thank you for your time. I have been reasearching all day, but everything I found pertains to no start with the relay/solenoid click.

AKPwrStroke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I pulled both batteries and charged them, put them back in and ensured terminals are clean and tight. That was my first guess too. Thanks!

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Weak batteries are a common cause of weird electrical problems.

Pull em out and get them load tested. If one is bad.........replace both of them.

Tbar

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One kinda weak battery will do this also. I agree on the load test or if you have a buddy that will swap with you......

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Yeah, battery anomalies cause wierd problems in these trucks. Also check all fuses. Sometimes a bad fuse will cause odd behavior in other circuits. When my keyless entry fuse blows, for instance, my dash lights come on when I hit the door locks....
A bad ground could cause similar wierdness, but is hard to find.

AKPwrStroke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wow cool! I was really thinking yall were gonna say my PCM is screwed up. Ill start checking these things and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks alot for your help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14