Wierd noise

dirttysouth

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have '02 7.3L and it has recently developed a new noise that I can't figure out. When accelerating and the truck shifts into 3rd and 4th there is a loud swoosh sound after the truck shifts, its sound to be coming from somewhere ontop of the motor, it almost sounds like air being pushed out of the air box, if that makes sense....also along with this I have noticed at cruising speed the truck seems to bog more, like if you are only slightly accelerating, it doesn't really do anything just bogs the engine down, and you have to really get on it to make it down shift.....any ideas?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
EBPV. its normal. it will go away more when it gets warm out again. want to learn more??? put EBPV in the search feature of this forum.

JRJ04

Reaction score
i think that might also be the turbo spinning down when your boost drops off. do you have a tuner or intake on it? that will allow you to hear it even more.

dirttysouth

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i think that might also be the turbo spinning down when your boost drops off. do you have a tuner or intake on it? that will allow you to hear it even more.
I have booth, but had never heard it til recently, so the cold weather has something to do with it im sure

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
likely with the cold temps the computer is trying to close the ebp valve because it is not sensing the pressure it should. The likley reason for it to not sense the pressure it is looking for is that the epbv sensor tube leading from the front of the passenger's manifold up to the sensor is corroded through or plugged with soot so the sensor is not seeing the pressure it wants and is closing the valve to help warm up the engine.

dirttysouth

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
likely with the cold temps the computer is trying to close the ebp valve because it is not sensing the pressure it should. The likley reason for it to not sense the pressure it is looking for is that the epbv sensor tube leading from the front of the passenger's manifold up to the sensor is corroded through or plugged with soot so the sensor is not seeing the pressure it wants and is closing the valve to help warm up the engine.
Would the ebpv valve make it lug down under light aceleration at highway speeds also?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the ebpv valve make it lug down under light aceleration at highway speeds also?

yes absolutely it is a butterfly valve in the exhaust just after the turbo. if the valve closes the engine has to work harder to push the exhaust out of the cylinder causing it to bog down because it is working harder.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14