Help Needed Wife moved truck for me, now stuck in driveway!

BBT

only an egg
Reaction score
She moved truck to get her car out, then drove truck back to top of driveway. Auto trans.
We have a very steep driveway. When I park I always apply parking brake first, then with truck in neutral and still running, let in roll back till it’s stopped and stable, then move selector to park and shut down. She put it in park first and shut down and the truck backed up on it’s own self and now the ignition switch and steering wheel are jammed tight.
Any one know what needs to come apart and get unstuck? :dunno

Would blocking all the wheels, then jacking up one rear wheel relieve enough pressure to turn the ignition and steering? I’m wary of jacking up even one wheel on such a steep incline though.

Thanks.
BBT

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Have another pickup or tow truck gently push your truck back an inch or two until you can free up the ignition...then get another wife. :rolleyes: :D :innocent

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell wife she killed your truck. Have her take you to the Super Duty gittin' place and get yourself a new truck.

If she agrees, keep wife. If not, then you have two problems.

Good Luck and Be Careful!

JRJ04

Reaction score
I would not jack it up. If you're at a slope thats a safety hazard waitin to happen. see if you can push it forward a bit or have someone push it forward just a tad to take the pressure off. I've got the same problem when I'm on a boat launch ramp...gotta be sure and not let that get tightened up. theres gotta be some parts that are worn out or something?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I guess you have already tried turning the steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key...............?

Tbar

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually try turn turn the key and turn the wheel hard to the left, seems to work for mine when that happens.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ignition switch problem is not tied to the fact that the truck was parked on a steep hill w/o the brake first.

The ignition switch is tied into the fact that she most likely hit the steering wheel with her leg when she was getting out and locked the wheel & column, You'll need to rock the steering wheel back and forth rather forcefully while trying to turn the key.

Now you'll get to the problem cause by not setting the brake first on a slope.... You will need to put extra force on the shift lever to get it out of park and it WILL sound horrible when you get it out of park like you broke something, that's just the pressure being released off of the transmission, you might get it a bit easier if you knock the transfercase into 4wd (if it's a manual t-case).

BBT

only an egg
Reaction score
Problem Solved!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried moving the wheel as mentioned above, but couldn’t break it free. I even tried running a 3’ crowbar through the spokes for some extra leverage, but still no dice.
What did work, me and another guy on each side of the wheel violently cranking it side to side. The whole truck was rocking. He had one hand on the ignition while we worked the wheel and it eventually broke free.
I’m on the road again!! :yahoo

Edit: And I get to keep the wife!!! :D

Thanks!
BBT

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal glad to hear you are back on the road. Not sure if gettin a new wife would have been worth it. They are kind of expensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58