Will a tuner kill my tranny?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you find this? Maybe you could provide some background on the survey?

You produced hard data. I'll give you that. However, I've got to question it. Where did it come from? How many people were surveyed? What was their knowledge of diesels prior to installing this chip? Did they have gauges? Did the motors give out while daily driving or were they being hot rodded? Was the motor properly maintained? Regular oil and filter changes?

Yes, DP tuner showed the highest failure rate but it also makes some of the most power.

Nowhere on there did I see anything at all that mentioned gauges...All of those motor failures looked to me like people pushed the truck too hard and it reached it breaking point. Obviously, adding more power will make it easier to break, but that doesnt mean the added power blew it up.

My point is this...To simply make a blanket claim that DP Tuner will blow your motor up is simply not true. The 7.3L motor has been tried and true with WAY more power added on to them than just a chip.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this? I'm not at all I'm the expert here, but I think theres a lot more that goes into modding and understanding these trucks than just plug and play.

So true!! I don't know how many times I've had to argue how important and factor vehicle maintenance is on the truck and engine. If you take care of the 7.3, it will take care of you. Statistics looked like the trucks were being hot rodded by looking at the piston results. Keep the egt's low and those numbers would have been 0%.

dpantazis

Reaction score
chipping or modding your truck will affect its performance, longevity and durability over the original design intent. no question about it. that is the risk you take. you pay to play.

as far as taking the position that DP tuner is the most failure prone based on that survey- hogwash. that survey lacks some fundamental info to take seriously. its like saying that everyone who eats tomatoes has a 100% mortality rate.

bottom line- if your truck is already weak, a chip is not going to cure it. if you are going to chip it, consider saving up fir a tranny and injectors because some day you are going to replace them. you are going to replace them someday anyway, but don't blame the chip if you get it.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all I did NOT make a "blanket" statement about DP. I just stated what I have read in threads and seen in that survey. I agree that if you "drive it like you stole it", even stock you can blow it up. Everyone has their favorite tuner. Some people like Ford and some people like Chevy. To each his own.

JRJ04

Reaction score
First of all I did NOT make a "blanket" statement about DP. I just stated what I have read in threads and seen in that survey.

Agree to disagree. I'll leave that one be.

I agree that if you "drive it like you stole it", even stock you can blow it up. Everyone has their favorite tuner.

Ok good. I think we are all in agreement there...wasnt sure before.

Some people like Ford and some people like Chevy. To each his own.

Couldnt agree with you more. That's what makes the world go round.:sweet

Did you just do a google search and find that? It really is interesting to see what all is out there. I have always just gone off of what people have to say on all the forums out there because I believe it to be coming from valid sources. Do you have anymore surveys like this?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Be careful. Dp is known for engine failures, more so than other tuners. PHP has a survey on engine failures, it is on their forum. It is all based on actual FACT, not opinion. My .02

you have a link to this survey? id like to know more about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14