Winter / Cold Weather Oil

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, got an 08 6.4L PSD. bought it last summer, used rotella 15-40 ever since. Well now it's winter and I want to use Rotella 5-40 except it is only avaiable in synthetic. I don't want to go Synthetic just yet. What are some of you guys using in the winter when you run 15-40 in the summer?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Hey guys, got an 08 6.4L PSD. bought it last summer, used rotella 15-40 ever since. Well now it's winter and I want to use Rotella 5-40 except it is only avaiable in synthetic. I don't want to go Synthetic just yet. What are some of you guys using in the winter when you run 15-40 in the summer?
Its got to be really cold to even worry about the 15-40 in a 6.4. Price is a factor. The least expensive would be the Rotella, which will now cost $22 a gallon. You could just use your block heater when it gets below maybe 20. Mine has started at 10 with no issues. W/out being plugged in. The Piezo injectors really make the difference.

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, however I still have not been 100% sold on anything. I do not want to go synthetic yet becuase I want to "break in" the engine for a longer period of time. It has 18k on it. I am hesitant to just leave 15-40 in it because I do not always have the option of pluggin it in. So i'm still not sure what i am going to do just yet.

What i was looking for was somebody that knew of a manufacturer that made 5-40 NON-synthetic and where I could get it. Is this an oil that does exist with the correct CJ-4 standards?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, however I still have not been 100% sold on anything. I do not want to go synthetic yet becuase I want to "break in" the engine for a longer period of time. It has 18k on it. I am hesitant to just leave 15-40 in it because I do not always have the option of pluggin it in. So i'm still not sure what i am going to do just yet.

What i was looking for was somebody that knew of a manufacturer that made 5-40 NON-synthetic and where I could get it. Is this an oil that does exist with the correct CJ-4 standards?

A longer break-in? The engine will decide when its "broken-in". :confused:

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cold weather oil

If you're from Minnesota(?), I wouldn't be so concerned with break in as much as cold start lubrication. You can always go back to dino in the summer. Block heaters are great - but remember that the oil is down in the pan (and lots of it) and it is basically at outside air temp. So sure you get a start with it plugged in, but 15W40 can be really thick at cold temps, so just because an engine starts in the cold, doesn't mean it should have been. You can spin bearings, burn camshafts, etc, due to the lack of lube on a cold start, even if the engine fires right away. Go 5W40 syn, plug in when it's cold, and your engine will be in better shape than if you didn''t use it come spring.

I live in northern Alberta, my truck has a diesel heater, and a wolverine oilpan heater, and of course syn 5W40. The closer an engine is to operating temp when it starts, the less cold weather wear it will experience.

These engines are meant to pull heavy loads up steep hills, so they have lots of oil and coolant, as a result it takes a long time to warm up all that liquid, so any help with syn oil, and warm fluids will be a big help to the engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14